Friday, December 21, 2012

Hives and Happy Holidays!

Hello Everyone!

Let me start this post by saying that I am currently on a lot of medicine and have a horrible headache, so if anything I write does not make sense, I blame the pills.

That sounded kind of sketchy, so let me explain.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I had a really bad cold, which was finally diagnosed as a sinus infection (or was it....).  I got some antibiotics and felt much better for a few days.  I actually had some energy over the weekend, which was great cause we had our staff holiday party and Josh's Bible Study Christmas party. Both were so fun!!  I felt like I was back to my normal self after 2 weeks of being sick.

That whole feeling better thing didn't last too long.  Come Sunday night, I was EXHAUSTED.  I went to bed at 9:15 p.m.!!!  That NEVER happens.  I usually end up doing work until at least 10:00, if not 11:00.

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I had TERRIBLE headaches all day.  I was so confused as to why the antibiotics were not helping.  I thought my sinus infection was returning with a vengeance.

Then, Thursday came.  Bum, bum, bum.... (that was supposed to sound ominous).  I woke up and felt awful again, but did not think much of it because I had felt awful every other day of the week.  I made it through the morning in a haze with my mind thinking ahead to the holiday party in the afternoon.

My awareness of how I felt changed drastically when I went into the teachers' lunch room and was greeted with: "Are you okay?  Your face is all puffy!  Are you allergic to something?"

I experienced momentary panic as an image from Hitch flashed across my mind!


Thankfully when I looked in the mirror I discovered that I did not look that bad, but my face definitely was puffy and I was covered in a bright red rash.

Here is a summary of the next events: I went into the school, nurse, played phone tag with my doctor, talked to my dad (he's a doctor), and was told that I was having an allergic reaction to the antibiotic and should stop taking it and start taking Zyrtec immediately!

That plan sounded all well and good until later that night, I felt like I was run over by a truck!  My face was tight and swollen.  My head and ears hurt like crazy.  My entire body was covered in bright red hives that made my skin super hot.

Let's just say I was miserable.  So miserable, I could barely talk without breaking into tears.

When I called my dad again, he ordered me to go the ER or at least an urgent care place.

So, I called up a friend, we lost driving to the urgent care, I annoyed the receptionist by getting there 10 minutes before they closed, talked to a doctor, and left.

And the verdict is...

Still out.  The doctor didn't know for sure what was going on.  He said it could be that I am allergic to penicillin or that I have....MONO!!!!  Apparently, if you have mono and take the antibiotic they gave me, you can have a severe allergic reaction.  Fun stuff...not.

I don't know which is better, having mono and getting over it or being unable to take penicillin products for the rest of my life?

After forcing myself to go to school this morning to facilitate my class's performance in the character education assembly (more details and freebies to come), I went to get the mono labwork done and then went home.  Everyone who saw me ordered me to get a sub and leave because frankly, I look terrible.  My kids asked if I had chicken pox.  

So, that's what is up with me and part of the reason why I haven't blogged much this week.  I am so looking forward to getting home to Ohio for break.  Unfortunately, I still have to drive to PA to get Josh and then make it through the 9 hour drive to Columbus tomorrow.  If ever I wished I could teleport somewhere, today is the day.  The first priority when I get to Ohio is to hug everyone and then STOP....IT'S BENADRYL TIME!!!!


I can't take it yet because I don't want to fall asleep and have my car make "friends" with a tree or another car while driving.  That would not be a good thing.

I hope to feel better and get some blogging done over break.  We'll see what happens though.

Wishing everyone a happy and HEALTHY holiday!!!

-Becky

P.S. This clip from Hitch where he is drinking Benadryl cracks me up!  I hope I won't get like that when I take it!


1 comment:

  1. Feel better, my friend!

    p.s. I LOVE that scene from Hitch - if you start acting even remotely near that, please have Josh video-tape it :)

    ReplyDelete