Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

To be totally honest, I am always nervous about making New Year's Resolutions because I don't want to make commitments that I won't keep.  However, I couldn't resist joining up with The Teacher's Cauldron's Linky Party.  Besides, what better accountability for New Year's resolutions than the entire blogging world?  

Personal Resolutions

1. Find Balance:  It's amazing how much has changed in my life in a year.  Last year, I had lived in New Jersey for just a few months and was still on my new legs as a teacher.  I spent pretty much every spare moment of my life lesson planning and every weekend was spent with me, myself, and I.  One year later, I am finding that God has blessed me so abundantly with a great church, new and old friends, a wonderful boyfriend, Compassion activities etc.  I love everything that is going on, but I sometimes feel like I have too many plates spinning in the air at once.  I need to find a way to enjoy and participate in everything, while still making time for myself to rest and rejuvenate.  I think getting mono was the wake up call that I needed to tell me that I need more rest.


2. Give Up Control/Perfectionism: This may be a long, long, long-term goal because I know that I will not achieve it easily.  However, I want to work on it.  I have been discovering more and more lately that my perfectionism is not necessarily a good thing.  It's okay to try to do my best at everything I do, but I cannot expect myself to be perfect.  In fact, I never can be perfect this side of heaven.  It is not healthy to beat myself up about failing when I don't achieve an unattainable goal.  I need to realize that even my most  "righteous acts are filthy rags" (Isa. 64:6), and that all that I have comes from God's grace.  I need to stop controlling everything and trying to make everything and everyone perfect, and just rest and live in God's grace day by day.

Blogging Resolutions

1. Blog Makeover: This should probably be more Josh's goal than mine because he is the one helping me plan out and create my new blog layout, but I still thought I would put it up here.  I hope to give this page a nice makeover, so that I have a button and a cohesive theme.

2. Build Followers: I would love to build a bigger group of followers.  Blogging is not just about numbers for me, but I think it would be super exciting to have a decent-sized group of followers, especially ones that aren't related to me :-)

3. More Freebies: I would love to get better at creating and sharing my own resources and ideas, so that I can pass them out to fellow teachers.  I beg, borrow, and steal a lot, so now it's time to give back.

Well, those are my goals.  Let's see how I do with them.  Here's to a great 2013!!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for visiting my blog! I'm glad I found yours and now I'm a follower :)

    It's nice to meet a fellow Christian blogger!

    Happy New Year's! :)
    Marie
    The Hands-On Teacher in First!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting and becoming a follower!

      Happy New Year to you too!

      Becky

      Delete
  2. Thank you for following our blog! We are now following you!!

    Amanda and Stacia
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new follower! :) Great blog- great resolutions! I'm with you on just about all of them! :) Happy New Year!!

    Katie
    Smiles from 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've blogged about letting go of being perfect, too. It's hard, cuz I want everything to look just right, like my centers. But I'm getting better. Following you. Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it definitely is hard to not obsess over making everything perfect. I'm glad you are getting better. Thanks for commenting and following!

      Delete