To be totally honest, I am always nervous about making New Year's Resolutions because I don't want to make commitments that I won't keep. However, I couldn't resist joining up with The Teacher's Cauldron's Linky Party. Besides, what better accountability for New Year's resolutions than the entire blogging world?
1. Find Balance: It's amazing how much has changed in my life in a year. Last year, I had lived in New Jersey for just a few months and was still on my new legs as a teacher. I spent pretty much every spare moment of my life lesson planning and every weekend was spent with me, myself, and I. One year later, I am finding that God has blessed me so abundantly with a great church, new and old friends, a wonderful boyfriend, Compassion activities etc. I love everything that is going on, but I sometimes feel like I have too many plates spinning in the air at once. I need to find a way to enjoy and participate in everything, while still making time for myself to rest and rejuvenate. I think getting mono was the wake up call that I needed to tell me that I need more rest.
2. Give Up Control/Perfectionism: This may be a long, long, long-term goal because I know that I will not achieve it easily. However, I want to work on it. I have been discovering more and more lately that my perfectionism is not necessarily a good thing. It's okay to try to do my best at everything I do, but I cannot expect myself to be perfect. In fact, I never can be perfect this side of heaven. It is not healthy to beat myself up about failing when I don't achieve an unattainable goal. I need to realize that even my most "righteous acts are filthy rags" (Isa. 64:6), and that all that I have comes from God's grace. I need to stop controlling everything and trying to make everything and everyone perfect, and just rest and live in God's grace day by day.
1. Blog Makeover: This should probably be more Josh's goal than mine because he is the one helping me plan out and create my new blog layout, but I still thought I would put it up here. I hope to give this page a nice makeover, so that I have a button and a cohesive theme.
2. Build Followers: I would love to build a bigger group of followers. Blogging is not just about numbers for me, but I think it would be super exciting to have a decent-sized group of followers, especially ones that aren't related to me :-)
3. More Freebies: I would love to get better at creating and sharing my own resources and ideas, so that I can pass them out to fellow teachers. I beg, borrow, and steal a lot, so now it's time to give back.
Well, those are my goals. Let's see how I do with them. Here's to a great 2013!!