Saturday, January 5, 2013

4 Winter Bulletin Boards and Freebies!!

As promised, I am here to share with you some winter bulletin board ideas.

Starting back in January is rough.  At least, I know I went back to school this week feeling not totally prepared or ready.  Having mono for 3 weeks did not help me plan lessons before break, let alone those extra bulletin board activities.  However, thanks to the cute ideas of my fellow bloggers and a spur of the moment inspiration/decision, I got all of my boards changed over this week!  That's not all, they are SUPER CUTE!!!!!  At least I think so.  Keep reading and decide for yourself.

I'll start with my most basic one and move on to my favorite.

Snowmen At Night


Just before going back, I was able to figure out two ideas for my hallway boards, but I still wasn't sure what to do for the one in my classroom.  I ALWAYS have trouble thinking of what to put up there.  The students each have clothespins with their names on them, so it's easy to clip work up there; however, I always forget to save papers or to plan special projects for it.

Cue spontaneous inspiration!

As I was reading the book, Snowmen at Night, I realized that the students could write about what they think snowmen do at night.  Now, I know that this is not a totally original idea.  In fact, another teacher in my building did something similar.  However, for me to think of it on the spot was a good thing, especially since I realized I had the perfect snowman template ready from last year!  So quick as a blink, I sent my Teacher's Helper to the office to ask (beg) for copies, so we could do it right away.

Here's a sample of what my kiddos did:


After they wrote to finish the sentence, "At night, snowmen...," they were free to decorate there snowmen with hats, scarves, earmuffs etc. using construction paper and crayons.

Here's a FREE copy of the Snowman Template.

Frosty Fact Families

My colleague actually planned this bulletin board with me, since we had to do something for the front entrance boards in December.  After some blog hopping, I discovered that the template and the idea came from Swamp Frog First Graders.  You should "hop" on over there to check out her post.  Unfortunately, I forgot to get a picture of the whole board, but when three class's worth of snowmen were up there, it was a grand sight.  

For this math craft, I gave the students each a number bond card to assign them a fact family. 
They wrote the whole of the number on the hat and the parts on the mittens.  Then, they wrote out the fact family on the snowman's body.  After that, they had a blast making and decorating their snowmen.

Here's a FREE title for the board: Frosty Fact Families

                                   

Get Ready to Lose Your Socks!!


 I found this idea and this template from First Grade Wow.  Her Happy New Year Packet is adorable and full of great resources.  Plus, it's FREE!!!

Students wrote answers to the prompt: In 2013, I am going to knock your socks off by...

I let them be creative with their answers.  They could write about something they wanted to do involving games, family relationships, or academics etc.

Some wrote some really thoughtful things about not wanting to fight with siblings etc.  I was impressed.

The kids especially liked this activity because I actually use the phrase, "You knocked my socks off!" in class.  I liked that this was a more creative way for them to make New Year's resolutions.

Here's a FREE title for the board: Get Ready to Lose Your Socks!  I'm going to add it to mine.


Sinking Snowmen!

I found this idea from First Grade Blue Skies and she got it from Sunny Days in Second Grade.  Isn't the blogging world great?  

The kids had a blast making this one too.  I loved that it magically tied in with our states of matter unit because the snowmen melted from solid ice to liquid water and then evaporated to gas.  We talked about how the heat from the sun caused that transformation.

For the craft, I gave the students a Snowman template from Lakeshore.  It's FREE!  They colored the parts, glued them to white construction paper, and drew eyes, buttons etc. They had fun making them all mixed up.  Finally, they cut the construction paper to make the puddle shapes.  

Overall, I think the board is kind of cute and funny and melancholy!

Well, those are my boards.  If you couldn't tell, I like snowmen a lot.  I hope you do to!

15 comments:

  1. Lovely boards! I like the snowman who is going to have "cold cocoa" - I guess hot cocoa would make him melt! That is one smart kiddo :)

    And you're "Sinking Snowmen" title looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks for helping me think of a title. The cold cocoa idea was actually in the book, but it is cute. :-)

      Delete
  2. Your board turned out super cute!! Thanks for the shout out!!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for following!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for following my little humble blog. I am now one of your newest followers too. I wasn't able to email you back though. It says you are a no reply blogger. Just an FYI! I just want to make sure you can replies to your comments on other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. I will definitely change that.

      Thanks for following!

      Delete
  4. Yep! It's me again. I came back to read your post a little more carefully and I want to thank you for the freebie snowman writing paper. It is so cute. I also want to thank you for the link to First Grade Wow and her New Year package. Great resources. The blogging world is great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! Glad you stopped back and found some things you liked. I think I fixed the "No Reply" issue.

      Delete
  5. Hi Becky! Thank you for stopping by my blog and following me! I am your newest follower! Don't you just love when inspiration strikes! Thank you also for all the cute ideas and links!! I look forward to reading more of your posts!
    Kim
    TheVeryBusyFirstGraders

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I love the writing connection about what snowmen do at night! I can definitely adapt that for my 4th graders! Thanks for sharing!!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found an idea you could use! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for stopping by the Corner. Your boards are adorable! I'm adding your blog to my blog roll and am now following, too.

    Happy new year!

    Barbara
    The Corner On Character

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thanks so much! That's awesome. I am glad you liked them. I can't wait to read more of your posts.

      Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations!!! Just wanted to let you know you are the winner of my Snow Much Fun Math and LIteracy Unit. I will send you and email shortly!
    Sharon
    Buggy for First Grade

    ReplyDelete