Sunday, January 27, 2013

Extreme Makeover Classroom Edition!

They really should make that a show.  Imagine how cool it would be for Ty Pennington to show up at your classroom to give it an Extreme Makeover.  

I can just imagine him yelling, "MOVE THAT SCHOOL BUS!!"

Voila!  The classroom of your dreams!

Well, since that probably won't happen anytime soon, or at least not to me, I decided to do a classroom makeover of my own.  I mentioned it in a post awhile ago, but then do to fabric shopping issues, I didn't get to finish the transformation until this week.  You can read about those adventures here.

So, enough delay.  The transformation is complete.  Here are some before and after pictures.

Before
Note the filing cabinet and the tooth poster in the front left corner.
They blocked the bulletin board and clogged up the space.
Also, the word wall was in the middle of the wall, blocked by a reading table.

After
The filing cabinet is now next to my other supply cabinet,
where it is out of the way and in a more convenient location. 
The computer is now OFF my teacher desk and on a nifty new computer desk in the front
where the filing cabinet used to be. Now the kids can use it for center activities.
My desk is now in the middle of the wall, which frees up the bulletin board to be a Word Wall, and gives me fresh wall space to use for anchor charts where the Word Wall used to be.  Plus, I can access my desk from either side now.  No more hoarding things in the corner.  :-)
The Word Wall is now on a real bulletin board and is much more accessible to the students. They can use the desks near it to do word work activities.  Also, the words are on push pins, so the kids can take them down and use them at their desks.
 Before
The back supply area was right next to the library causing major traffic jams
and facilitating plenty of wasted time.
The supply area is now at the front.
Before
Extra space in the back.  This was a travel area, but it seemed to have more potential.

After
The reading table is now in the back space.  I know it's hard to see, but it works well there. I can monitor the whole room better from the back center than from where the table was before.
Before
The classroom library.  I liked the 3 wall arrangement, but it made it hard
for me to monitor the students during independent reading.
 After
Now, the library is spread along the walls and is much more open.

Before
The carpet and calendar area.  There wasn't too much wrong with this.

After
The only real thing that changed was the way my ELMO cart faced. Also, I replaced my mailbox!!!! I gushed about that in a previous post.

So, that's my classroom makeover.  

I have been loving it so far and so have the kids and other random teachers who stop in my room.  It's been quite nice to hear how well people like the change.

How many of you like to switch up your classroom arrangement mid-year or at the beginning of a new year?

Have a great Sunday night everyone.  I'm off to rest up before another week of teaching in my rearranged classroom. 

14 comments:

  1. Love your new look! I'd love to do a midyear makeover, but my room is so small and I have 26 kids so I'm kinda stuck with options! I did a little wall redecorating to fuel my need to redecorate! Great job with your room!!

    Katie
    Smiles from 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad you don't have that much space to work with. Changing wall decorations is a good idea though. I bet that freshened things up.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Your classroom looks great Becky! I think the Extreme Makeover Classroom Edition would be an UnBeLiEvAbLy FABULOUS idea! That would be so cool! I have the same problem as Katie. Our rooms are small too, so I don't have many options for a classroom arrangement. Whoever designs these classrooms could not have previously been a school teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish they would make that show! We teachers should start a petition and submit the idea to ABC. :-) Too bad your room is so small. It is too bad there are not more former-teacher construction workers. People who build schools should totally consult teachers before they start working and making these tiny rooms.

      Delete
  3. How awesome would that be if they did that show!!!! Your room looks big! JEALOUS! My classroom is tiny! I am not looking forward to squeezing 29 kiddos in there next year. I love your calendar area and rug!!
    Kim
    TheVeryBusyFirstGraders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 29 kids! That's crazy! It is nice to have a big room. I am very fortunate to have plenty of space to work with.

      Delete
  4. Looks great Becky! I only moved a few things in my room but hoping to do a full decorating overhaul over the summer.

    Mrs. Pauley's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing your adjustments on your post. I bet it will be nice to really switch things up over the summer.

      Delete
  5. I would LOVE that show!! That would be so great!!

    It looks like you were busy!! I'm a little OCD, so once I get my classroom the way I like it, it usually stays that way. :O)

    Your room looks huge!! That's awesome!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I am headed off to stop by your page now. :-)

      Delete
  7. It always feels so good to get your room to the point where it works really well for you. I used to change my room a lot, even mid year, but not so much anymore. It all seems to be working well now. Enjoy!
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you found an arrangement that works for you. I think that I will be happy with this one for awhile now.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  8. Becky, this looks so amazing!! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete