Friday, January 25, 2013

Five for Friday, Flashback, and Freebies!

It's a quadruple F linky extravaganza!  I am happy to be joining in with several fun (another F, haha) linky parties.

First, I am joining Doodle Bugs for Five for Friday and Teaching Madness for a Friday Flashback.  Click on the pictures to head on over to link up.


1. Brand New Word Wall- A few weeks ago, I rearranged all of the furniture in my classroom, which including changing the location of my word wall to make it more accessible.  Here's how it turned out.  The kids were already using it a lot today.


2. Math Problem Solving- I have been super impressed with how my students have been doing working with place value and number patterns.  They even did an awesome job with the "Put Your Thinking Cap On" lesson, which is always a very challenging problem-solving activity.  This week, they had to figure out missing numbers in a pattern e.g. 10, 14, 16, 20 is missing 12 and 18.  I had the kids work in heterogeneous groups and gave them cards to arrange on their white boards.  That way they could rearrange the cards and show their work on their boards.  I was impressed with how well everyone talked with each other as they worked to solve the problems and with the fact that most of the groups came up with the correct answers. 

3. The Royal Bee Predictions- We spent several days this week using the book The Royal Bee to practice making predictions.  The book has some difficult vocabulary and concepts; however, the students get into the story and there are several good stopping points where students can make predictions about what is going to happen next.  Yesterday, I read the first part of the book and then students drew and wrote predictions.  Today, we talked about how good readers think about whether or not their predictions come true, so I read a bit more.  The students were excited when their predictions came true.  I was pleased when they were able to discuss why their predictions were not correct.  
Keep reading for a free Making Predictions sheet.

4. Author's Celebration- Today was our class author celebration for the "Learning from Authors" writing unit. The kids' stories turned out awesome!!!  Most of them applied many of the craft techniques they learned and wrote well-composed stories.  Even my sweet little boy who reads on an early kindergarten level and has a hard time with writing wrote a wonderful four sentence story!  I teared up when I read it because he did such a great job!  

Since the students did so well with their stories, I was so happy that tons of parents showed up to hear them read today.  The room was packed full of mommies and daddies holding their iPhones up to record every second of their children's moments in the spotlight.

5. Fancy Smancy Dinner- After a good, but super busy week at school, it was so fun to go out for a super fancy dinner with Josh.  I knew that we were going someplace nice, but the actual restaurant was a surprise to me and so were the flowers he brought me!  We ended up having a wonderful, gourmet meal at Il Cappricio.  I normally try to eat healthily and not over-indulge, but tonight, I went hog wild and enjoyed every bite of it!


Me getting ready to eat my yummy bowl of ravioli gnocchi.
Chocolate mousse cake.
We got a free dessert just for checking in on my Yelp app!
Peanut butter chocolate bar dessert.  So delicious!
Those were my five things and a flashback of my day.  Now, here are my two freebies for Teaching Blog Addict's Friday Freebie linky.  Click the pictures to download them.

Freebie Fridays
Making Predictions Record Sheet

In preparation for the upcoming How-To writing unit, I made graphic organizers to help students brainstorm ideas for what to write about including things they do at home and at school; things they know how to make; and games they know how to play.  Click the picture to get them free.

Please comment to let me know if you download the freebies!  I would love some feedback!

Also, stay tuned for more pictures of the full classroom renovation.

Well, I better be done writing this post now cause Friday is over in 5 minutes!  Have a great weekend everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Hello Becky :) I just found your blog and am so excited! It is fabulous. Happy to be a new follower! Thanks for the freebie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for the sweet compliment. That made my night! Thanks for following!

      Delete
  2. Yummy!! What an awesome dinner! Don't you just LOVE those author celebrations?? There is nothing I love more than to read children's stories! And, to have THEM read them?? Even better! :)

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete