Sunday, February 10, 2013

A-to-Z of Teacher Becky!

Ah, this weekend has been nice and relaxing.  I love it when I am able to get plenty done, but also have time to take walks and just chill.  It helps me go into the week with a much clearer head and a positive attitude.

That being said, since the weekend is almost over, I figure this is my last really free and open chance to join a few linky parties.

The first one has been up for awhile, and I have wanted to join, but haven't had the time.  The linky is The Polished Teacher's A-to-Z of Teacher Me.


A: App: Confer- This app is great for recording conferring notes.  You can set up different subjects; lists of students; specific strengths, teaching points, and next steps.  I use it primarily for writing workshop.  It helps me see how students grow and what they still need to work on.

B: Book Character: Dessert-  I was introduced to Dessert by the mother of one of my students last year.  She was an author and donated all of her books to my classroom library!  I started reading a chapter of the Dessert books to my kids every day after lunch and they loved it.  They called it "Dessert Time."  Dessert is an fun, but snarky 3rd grade girl who has wild siblings and an interesting teacher named Mrs. Howdy Doody.  Throughout the three books, she has all kinds of problems and adventures at school, so kids are able to connect to a lot of her feelings and experiences.

C: Clip Art: My Cute Graphics- Since I have yet to venture into the world of buying clip art (although I may get there soon), I am enjoying using the cute images from My Cute Graphics.  
D: Dollar Spot Find: Big Dice- I already shared about these in my Fabulous Finds post.  My thoughts were that cool, colorful dice might jazz up old dice games, and that they should not go flying across the room into dark corners where I can never find them.


E: Essential To Start Day: Jesus Calling and Bible reading- I seriously have a worse day if I do not spend time in God's Word daily.  I love the encouraging words in Sarah Young's Jesus Calling,  and of course, the Bible itself is so encouraging and convicting.  It's amazing to me how I can read the same thing many times, but get something different out of it each time.  

F: Font: Cupcake Fonts- I absolutely LOVE all of Mrs. Cupcake's fonts, but especially:

G: Game: Loaded Questions, Balderdash, and Euchre- As you can see, I can't choose one!  I love most games.  Loaded Questions is a fun, silly, and interesting way to get to know people better.  Balderdash is just awesome.  Euchre is a tricky, but super fun card game that is unfortunately unknown to most of the world.  It seems that only people in Ohio and western Pennsylvania have heard of it and only a few know how to play.  I am attempting to spread it to the East Coast, but progress is slow.  :-)



H: Holiday: Christmas!!  How can anyone not love Christmas?  It's the celebration of the Savior Jesus' birth and it is a wonderful season full of time spent with family, yummy cookies, festive decorations, and all kinds of traditions!

I: Ice Cream: Mint Moose Tracks- The perfect combination of my two favorite flavors: Mint Chocolate Chip and Moose Tracks.  I could eat a whole carton of this in one sitting!  Unfortunately for my taste buds, but fortunately for my waistline, it is not that easy to find in grocery stores or ice cream shops.

J: Jewelry Piece: E & Company Sphere Necklace- I actually don't own this yet, but I really want it cause it's so pretty and the proceeds help support small businesses and women street vendors in India.

K: Kid-ism:  "When I'm old, I'm going to marry you!"   Hmm...we'll see about that.

L: Location To Travel: Florence, Italy AKA My FAVORITE Place on Earth!!!  I love the culture, history, and beauty of the city.  Plus, Perche No is the BEST gelato place in the world.  I went to Florence on a high school Europe trip and am dying to go back.

M: Management Technique: Responsive Classroom Discipline- I appreciate how Responsive Classroom emphasizes encouragement, rather than praise, logical consequences, and action apologies.  I also like how the Take a Break system encourages students to sit out and fix their behavior before returning to the learning environment.

N: Nail Polish: Anything bright and fun.  I really don't paint my finger nails ever, but for my toes, I like any bright colors that can go with lots of outfits.  One of my favorites is Black Raspberry by Mary Kay.

O: Open House Idea:  Thank you for popping in!- I want to do this next year.  All you do is attach the note to bags of microwave popcorn as favors for the parents.  Too cute!

P: Pinterest Find: Peacebreakers and Peacemakers from First Grade Parade- Read about how much I LOVE this pin and get a freebie here.

Q: Quote: 

R: Read-Aloud: Goldilocks and the Three Dinsaurs by Mo Willems.  I really can't say that this is my only favorite cause I have tons of favorites.  However, this is a new addition to my classroom library and I love it, probably because it is so sarcastic. :-)

S: School Supply: Crayons!  I realize several people on this linky have said crayons for this answer.  I don't want to be a copy cat, but come on, is there anything better than a box full of colorful crayons just waiting to be used?

T: TPT/TN Product: Mrs. Mabe's Word Work Task Cards and Recording Sheets- These task cards are so cute, easy to use, and effective.  My kids love choosing different ways to practice their words during Word Work.

U: Un-Official Hobby: Blogging, Pinning, and Baking!  Blogging is my new favorite hobby.  Pinning has been an addiction for awhile.  My favorite things to pin are dessert recipes, which I then love to bake.  Here are some of my PinSuccesses.

V: Video Brain Break: TBD- Honestly, I haven't used videos for Brain Breaks before, but I am looking into some.  Mrs. Pauley recommended Just Dance for Kids videos.  Those look super fun, so I hope to try them soon.

W: Way To Spend A Day Off: Hanging out with friends or family, taking walks, watching TV, baking etc.

X: X-tra Special Blogs You ♥: There are so many great ones it's hard to choose!
The Teacher Wife
Michele is a sweetheart and has been so sweet
to comment on lots of my posts.
O FISH ally a First Grader
Corinna has so many great ideas and she has been so welcoming to me as a new blogger. 


Written by my best friend and education buddy Jessica.
Y: Yummy Dessert: Carvel Sundae Dashers- Ice cream is my vice.  I cannot go a day without eating at least a little bit of ice cream.  Since moving to New Jersey and living down the street from a a Carvel, Sundae Dashers have become my major indulgence.  My favorites are Mint Chocolate Chip, Thin Mint, Tagalong, Peanut Butter Cup, and Swiss Miss.  As you can tell, I have tried quite a few :-)

Z: Zoo Animal: Tigers- They are so beautiful and majestic.

Whew, that took me way longer than I expected to compile.  It was super fun though to think about all of the answers.  I hope you enjoy learning a bit more about me.

Thanks to The Polished Teacher for hosting!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, Becky - I LOVE reading your creative and fun blog posts :)

    Those Carvel Sundae Dashers have our names written ALL over them :)

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love blogging and pinning too Becky! I hopped over from the linky!

    Joni
    KinderKids Fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have soooo much in common! Christmas is by far my fave holiday and Balderdash is my family go-to game. It is so much fun! I will definitely have to try that ice cream, sounds delish! And I'm impressed by your Pinterest successes, way better than I could ever do! Loved learning more about you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that we have so many similar interests/favorites. Thanks for the compliment. I love baking, so it's fun to try new things. I won't tell you how many PinFails though to get to the successes :-)

      Delete
  4. What fun getting to know you. I haven't seen that Goldilocks version and I think I must have it!

    Leslie - Teach Junkie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you totally should get it! It's hysterical.

      Delete