Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Black History Month Project- Freebie included!

It's February!  That means it's time for tons of special holidays and historic happenings.

One of my favorite celebrations in February is Black History Month.  I think it is so important for the kids to learn about the accomplishments of the many African American men and women who have shaped our culture and society.  However, since February is such a crazy, busy month with holidays, assessments, and everything else, it is hard to find time to focus on Black History Month.

Fortunately, last year, I found a great way to solve this problem...an at home project!

The assignment consisted of having students research famous African Americans before choosing one to present about to the class.  I sent home a letter explaining the project to parents and a simple template with a place for a picture and a few sentences about the person.

What I got back were...masterpieces!

Okay, well, I am exaggerating a bit, but not that much.  Apparently the parents went gaga over the project and encouraged their children to go above and beyond my basic, little template.  Some kids painted portraits of the famous person, stapled together packets of information copied from the internet, or even handwritten!  I was blown away!

The presentations took over a week's worth of snack times (that's when I had them present).  When the students finished, I put their work up on a bulletin board and got tons of good feedback.

Sorry the picture doesn't really do the project justice.  I don't have a better one.

Anyways, as February approached this year, I began ruminating on the idea of upping the ante and expecting more of my little over-achievers.  Even though I have a very different class this year, I still have parents that seem very willing to help out with extra projects.

So, here is the result of my efforts.  I fancied up my Black History Month project.  You can download it for free by clicking on the picture below.





I sent the letter and template home on Monday and asked for it to be returned this Friday.  I can't wait to see the results and to have my kids present in class!  I hope that it is a meaningful learning and sharing experience for everyone!

Please let me know if you download the freebie, and if you use it with your kids.  I would LOVE to hear feedback about how it goes.  Thanks!

Also, one last unrelated thing.  Please consider making a difference by participating in or donating to the One Meal, One Day Campaign. Read more about it by clicking the button.


Even the smallest donation can help end the hunger of many Ethiopian children.

Thanks in advance for your generosity!  

Please let me know what you think of the Black History Month project.

1 comment: