Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentines Day!

Happy Valentines Day everyone!

I already posted earlier this evening for Show and Tell Tuesday, but I still thought I'd share quickly about our Valentines celebration.

To be honest, I kept things pretty chill this year.  I wanted to do so much more, especially since I have gathered some great resources from all of my blogging friends.  However, our district is currently in the middle of DRA testing, which is always a very stressful time.  I love listening to my kids read to assess their progress; however, I don't love being stuck at the back table while my students have to work independently for large portions of the day.  Being that I still needed to get some DRA's done today, I kept Valentines Day short, but sweet.  :-)

To kick off our party, the kids did some math activities with conversation hearts.  I used the awesome freebie I got from Kristin at Teeny Tiny Teacher.  I passed out bags of hearts, went through the directions, and let the kids get to work sorting, counting, adding, and graphing.  They were so engaged!

As the kids worked, I called one table group at a time to deliver their Valentines.  Everyone had their decorated bag on their desk, so the kids just went around dropping in their cards.  

While they did that, I set up the snack.  I had parents provide fruit, cupcakes, juice, and paper goods, but did not have anyone come in to help out. Perhaps I should have, but everything worked out quite well.

Once everyone started finishing their work and their deliveries, I called groups to get their treats.  Then, everyone spent the rest of the afternoon, finishing their math activities, eating their snacks, and just having a jolly old time.  Even though the kids were kind of amped up and things got a bit hectic, I was happy with how things went overall.  Everyone had fun and went home happy and excited for a 4 day weekend!

Speaking of 4 day weekends, it's time for me to go to bed, so I can rest up and enjoy mine.  

Happy Valentines Day everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun! We were off this week (at least the kids were...lol...I have worked playing catch up!)! Enjoy your break!
    Michele
    The Lightbulb Lab

    ReplyDelete