Monday, February 25, 2013

Manic Monday and Math Week! Freebie Included!

Manic Monday says it all.

I don't even know how to express how crazy and hectic today was.  It was truly a test of my flexibility as a teacher.

To start off, I got to school already feeling mentally busy because I knew I had to finish a few assessments and input final grades by 3:30 p.m.  I also knew that I had a child study determination meeting for my sweet boy who is WAY behind grade level.  Plus, I knew that it was the start of Math Week, which meant that other classes were going to visit my room to play math games and that my class was leaving to visit theirs.

Upon entering my classroom, I discovered that my room must have been converted into a walk-in freezer because it was RIDICULOUSLY AND INCREDIBLY COLD!!!!!!  I am pretty sure these penguins would have felt quite comfortable there.


I was very surprised to discover how cold it was because usually my room is one of the very few that actually maintains a normal temperature, rather than being a sauna or a freezer.

Not knowing what to do about the temperature situation, I proceeded to prep for the day with goose bump-covered arms, shaking fingers, and chattering teeth.

Upon conferring with the teacher in the room next door, I learned that my classroom was not the only one that had been moved to Antarctica.  In fact, several of us were having sub-zero experiences and the principal was trying to remedy the situation by having classes meet in the library.  However, I was told to just take my class right to specials as usual because the room would be fixed by the time they were over.

Yeah right.

No one came to fix anything during my prep.  I know that for a fact because my meeting was canceled, so there was no escape from the cold for me, at least not if I wanted to be productive.  :-(

After, I picked up my kids from P.E., I had them gather some supplies to bring to the library.  There were some free tables, since my neighbor's class had just vacated them in order to go to specials.  In the library, I attempted to whisper-teach a reading lesson on looking at close-ups in nonfiction books by moving from table to table holding up a book.  I will probably have to re-teach that tomorrow.

At 10:15, I was told by the secretary that the heat should be better now, so I could take my kids back to the room for math centers.

It wasn't.

Fortunately, for my kids, they didn't have to stay in the room, but rather got to travel to two other classes to play math games.  I hosted two other classes for 30 minutes each.  Thankfully, it takes at least 40 minutes to make human popsicles.


Once I got my kiddos back, we all managed to survive until recess by wearing our winter coats.  Then, after lunch, I carted a bunch of materials to the computer lab and we spent the rest of the day there using the computer tables for desks and the carpet space for a writing lesson.  The kids were pretty good about the whole situation, so I rewarded them and myself by letting them play computer games for the last 30 few minutes of the day.  

When we got back to the room for dismissal, the heat was FINALLY working and the room was getting a bit warmer.  It was still pretty bad though, so between that and the fact that I was just worn out from all of the insanity, I booked it out of school at 3:30 on the dot.

I am really hoping that my classroom is a normal temperature tomorrow.  With my luck, it will be a sauna and we will be sweating bullets as day!

That would be terrible.

Anyways, now that I am done ranting about the temperature, I would love to share a math freebie with you.  As I said, it's Math Week at our school where we are celebrating math and looking for it in the world around us.  Tomorrow's activity will be food math during snack time, which should be fun.  I am having a parent come in to do a Skittles graphing activity.  Should be fun.

In honor of Math Week and my Manic Monday, I created a Froot Loops sorting and graphing activity.  You can pick it up for FREE by clicking the picture.  I would love it if you would let me know if you download it.



Whew.  That's it for my Manic Monday.  Time to go get my hip-hop on at dance class!  

8 comments:

  1. Found you through Classroom Freebies. Thank you for sharing your fruit loop activity. I love lessons that include a lot of different skills. Hope thinks warm up!
    - Kathy
    Kathy's First Grade Adventure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback and for following!

      Delete
    2. Hi Kathy, just wanted to let you know that I actually just tweaked the freebie, so you may need to re-download it. Sorry for the inconvenience, but I realized I wanted to change something.

      Delete
  2. Yikes - what a day! Good thing we teachers are trained to be flexible :)

    The graphing activity looks AWESOME!

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I actually just tweaked it by labeling the circles, so you may need to re-download it if you already did.

      Delete
  3. Hooooly frostbite girl!! So sorry to hear about your arctic indoors. I hope you didn't leave with freezer burn! Sheesh. Thanks so much for the freebie, you are a Rockstar :)

    Hugs!
    Khrys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thankfully I still have all my fingers and toes. Glad you like the freebie. I might have accidentally not had it set on share, so stop back if you need to re-download it. It should be available now.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Wow! I would have died in your room. As my kids say, "Mrs. Hargrove doesn't do COLD!" Hope it's better now though, and you are making it through the week. Cute freebie too!
    Shine On!
    Michele
    The Lightbulb Lab

    ReplyDelete