Wednesday, February 27, 2013

State Pride and How I Ended Up in New Jersey!

Do you have pride in your state?  Like to represent where you live?

If so, you should totally join in the fun over at Fifth in the Middle!  Diane is hosting a linky called Bloggers by State.  You can pick up a cute button for your state to add to your page.  Then, you can peruse and find other bloggers from where you live and the other great states.

Here's mine:


Personally, I never imagined living in New Jersey, but God clearly had other plans for me.  In honor of my new NJ pride, I thought I would quickly share the crazy story of how a Midwestern girl like myself ended up in the Northeast.

The story starts in the spring of 2011.  I was down in Lynchburg, Virginia, finishing my final semester of school at Liberty University by student teaching in an inner city school (more on that another day).  

As graduation loomed every closer, I began to experience what most college seniors do...FEAR.  The Big Bad World was approaching and I was in a straw house with no where to go once I switched my tassel.

So, I did the only two things I could do:
  1. Prayed
  2. Applied for Jobs
When I say I did those two things, I mean I really did them.  My life outside of student teaching, which was busy and insane enough, became consumed with surfing the internet for job openings, going to job fairs, writing cover letters, filling out applications, printing out resumes.

I honestly don't even know the exact count of how many jobs I applied for.  I applied for every position I could find in OH, PA, VA, and MD.  I think I have about 50 different cover letters saved on my computer to this day, some of which, I probably wrote in my sleep just out of habit.

Out of all of the jobs I applied for, guess how many interviews I had....

ONE!!!   

Well, unless you count the two or three I had in a busy hallway at school during a job fair.  I don't.

The interview I had was actually after graduation, so, I graduated without having a job lined up.  Scary.  However, the fact that I was in the same boat as most of the other education majors made me feel a wee bit better.

Anyways, the interview was with a charter school in Erie, PA.  It was a great school and I had worked hard to keep in contact with the HR rep for several months.  However, the interview I had was more like substitute teaching for the day, with pay!  Afterwards, I was told they liked me, but didn't know if they had a position open.  Fun stuff.  Not.  It was especially frustrating since I had driven myself out there and had the interview only TWO days after having thyroid surgery!  I had to wear a scarf to cover the stitches on my neck, so they wouldn't think I had been in a knife fight!

At this point, you may be asking: "What about NJ?"  "Will this story ever end?"

I promise it will.  I'm getting to the good stuff now.  At least, I think so.

The day after my failed interview in Erie, I flew out to New York for my best friend, Jessica's wedding.  During my days out there, I had a wonderful time being a bridesmaid with some great friends.  


However, at night, the reality of not having a job would hit both Jessica and me, so we would start discussing the future.  One night, as Jessica and I were talking, she said, "You should apply out in New Jersey, near where I will be living."  

My response at the time, was "Yeah, maybe.  I'll think about it"  I loved the idea of being near her, but the thought of figuring out licensure for yet another state made me want to throw up.

Still, two days after returning from her wedding, on Tuesday, June 7, I randomly applied for a job in a school district near where she and her hubby would be living.

Here's a timetable of what happened next:

Tuesday- Applied for job
Wednesday- Missed an evening call from a principal to schedule interview
Thursday- 
  • Called to set up interview.  
  • Found out interview was Friday, the NEXT DAY!!
  • Decided to go to interview
  • Packed bag, booked hotel, PLANNED A LESSON, and drove 8.5 hours by myself from OH to NJ
  • Stayed in a hotel by myself
Friday- Had the interview.  Was offered the job.  Freaked out.  Asked for time to think.
Saturday and Sunday- Prayed.  Freaked out.  Prayed.  Talked to my parents.  Prayed some more.
Monday- ACCEPTED THE JOB!!!

That is literally what happened.  Boom.  Boom.  Boom.  Door opened.  Becky has a job.

The worst part about me accepting the job was that Jessica was still on her honeymoon, so I had to wait a whole week to tell her!!!  When she got back, I called her and was like, "How was your honeym...I got a job in NJ!!!"  She was so psyched!

So, that's how I got a job in NJ.  I will spare you the crazy details about how my mom and I spent the rest of the summer apartment hunting and spending WAY TOO MUCH money on supplies for me and my classroom.  

Overall, how I got to NJ was a crazy experience, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.  It is so clear to me that God had a plan and opened the right doors in His timing.

If you are still here, thanks for sticking with me through the saga.  I would love to hear a bit about your applying/interviewing/getting a job experiences.  Leave me a comment!

Also, today is exactly one month from the official day for the One Meal, One Day campaign to help hungry children in Ethiopia.  If you don't already know about it, please click the button below to find out more.  I have some great products I would love to give you as a thank you for donating!

2 comments:

  1. Becky-

    Hello, fellow Buckeye! I am also a transplant to another state. Our move was to California. Fortunately being in northern California is not as much of a culture shock for a girl from the midwest! I love hearing how God directs. Yours is a great story.

    I really appreciate your blog. It's been a real blessing to me as I return to teaching after many years as an administrator and tutor. Much has changed since I last taught, so it has been a challenging year! Your resources, along with many others from various bloggers, have really helped me immensely. Keep up the good work!

    SherylLyn
    Sacramento, CA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the sweet comment. You really warmed my heart. I am so glad that I have been able to help you in some small way. I appreciate hearing your story too. It's incredible how God can lead us places we never expect, but how it always works out for the best. I am sure He will help you have a great rest of the school year.

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete