Friday, March 1, 2013

All About Book Freebie!

Anyone else glad it's Friday?  I know I am!  This week felt WAY TOO LONG!!  I don't know if it was because it was our first five day week after several four day weeks or because of the craziness that happened on Monday or what, but I just kept thinking every day was Friday.  Not a good thing.

Fortunately, Friday did come and looking back, my week wasn't that bad after all.  It was a bit odd with the arctic temperatures in my classroom on Monday and with having 3-5 kids absent everyday, but hey, that's how teaching goes.  You never know what to expect.

Now that it is finally Friday, I am excited share a freebie with you for Teaching Blog Addict's Friday Freebies.

This week, my firsties were planning and writing their All About Books.  In order to help them plan details to include, I came up with a little acronym: CHALK.  You can see what it stands for below.  I literally came up with this five minutes before I taught the day's writing lesson, but it really worked well.  The kids actually really used the anchor chart as they were planning their chapters.  It helped them think of a variety of details to include in their books.  


What really solidified things for them was when I read aloud several all about books throughout the rest of the week.  As I read, The Pumpkin Book by Gail Gibbons, they kept calling out, "That's a color detail!"  "That's a how-to!"  "Location!"  "That's an action!"  etc.  It was so exciting!


Since this last minute idea worked so well for me, I decided to make a cuter poster and planning sheet to share with you all.  You can pick it up for FREE below by clicking the pictures.  There are two versions of the posters, one is simple, the other is more specific.  I couldn't choose which one I liked better, so I made both!

I hope you like the posters.  I would love to hear feedback, even if you have ideas to make them better. 

Well, that's all I have for you this Friday!  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful concept for an anchor chart - I love the CHALK acronym. Very creative :)

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete