Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Character Study Graphic Organizers (Freebies)

It's SPRING!!!!!

Even though the weather hasn't caught on to that fact, the kids sure have.  It seemed like the whole class was super antsy and chatty today.  Still, we got a lot done and had some fun while doing it.

In fact, this whole week has been quite exciting for both me and the kiddos.  We started new units in math, reading, and writing, with the Character Study and Persuasive Writing units being brand new to the teachers too.

That being said, I am linking up with Jessica from Ideas by Jivey for Workshop Wednesday and Teaching Blog Addict for Freebie Friday.  This week the theme is reading graphic organizers, so I will share some of the cool Character Study resources that I have tracked down and made for our new unit.

To start off, I am in LOVE with these adorable character profile pages from Sarah Kirby at Permanently Primary.  Stop by her blog to get them for free.


Readworks.org has some great free lesson plans and resources for all grades K-6.  For the first grade unit, the lessons focus on David Shannon's No David! books.  I'm also using some of the second grade lessons which use some great Kevin Henkes books.

I plan to use this prediction thought bubble with my class on Friday.


Now, here's a little something I made for my students to use to record character actions throughout the story.  Click the picture to download it.


Also, since a big focus of our unit is to encourage our students to be "Character Detectives," who pay attention to the character's actions, I made these graphic organizers for the students to use to record what they notice and what it tells them about the character.  Click the pictures to download.


So, now I have a question for you all.  What books would you recommend to use for character study?  I have used and plan to use more David Shannon and Kevin Henkes books, but I would love other recommendations.  Please leave me a comment with your ideas!  I look forward to reading them.

P.S. It's exactly one week until the One Meal, One Day campaign ends.  That means you have only one week left to get some great freebies for donating $10 or more to help starving children.  Click the button to learn more!  

9 comments:

  1. Love the organizers! Super cute. Thanks for sharing. I'm a new follower!
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bethany,

      Thank you for following. I'm glad you like the organizers. Character study is so much fun. I am really enjoying teaching it.

      Have a great night!

      Delete
  2. Great organizers!! I love the Character Clues one! Thank you!

    Stacy
    Live Love Laugh and Teach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you like them. I would love to hear if you use them and they work out well.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Just found your blog through Freebie Fridays. Love your character clues worksheet. Thanks for a great freebie.

    I'm your newest follower. Feel free to stop by my place anytime!

    Cindy
    Granny Goes to School

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindi! Thanks for following. I'm glad you like the freebie.

      I have actually followed you for awhile now. Your blog title is super cute. I liked the idea of using the Dollar Store flowers for graphing etc.

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE! Thanks so much for sharing those awesome organizers. I will totally use them with my littles. I will be snagging those character pages from Sarah as well :) Hope you are having a relaxing Saturday girl!

    HUGS,
    Khrys
    Keepin’ It Kool In KinderLand

    ReplyDelete