Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Workshop Wednesday: Mentor Texts!!


It's Wednesday again and time for another fun Workshop Wednesday linky hosted by Jivey from Ideas by Jivey.

The theme this week is...MENTOR TEXTS!!!!

If you couldn't tell already, I'm pretty excited about it.  Asking a teacher to talk about books is like asking a gecco to talk about car insurance!  Hahaha.  I cracked myself up.

Anyways, these are some of the mentor texts I use in my classroom.

Based on the district curriculum and Lucy Calkins's recommendations, I use a lot of Angela Johnson books.  They are good examples of small and many moment stories that include features like ellipses and comeback lines.
Product Details

One thing I don't like about these books though is that are kind of basic and the kids don't get too excited about them.  That's why I supplement with some other super fun books by Mo Willems and Jonathon London.  These books include features like ellipses, sound effects, dialogue, speech bubbles, split panels, bold and colorful font etc.  Plus, the kids love the stories and the crazy characters!
All the Froggy books are great!
Great for dialogue,speech bubbles,
 thought bubbles, ellipses, split panels etc.
Those are the main books I use to teach the features, but once they have been taught, I encourage the kids to point them out wherever they see them.  It's amazing how many books do include ellipses, dialogue, and many other features once you take the time to look for them.

That being said, if you have any great ideas for what mentor texts to use to teach author's craft, please comment and let me know.  Then, be sure to link up with Workshop Wednesday to share with everyone!  I can't wait to get some new ideas!

4 comments:

  1. I love Mo Willems!! We use the pigeon books to write dialogue- taking the speech bubble and turning it into a sentence with a vivid verb (no said!!) thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I supplement Authors as Mentors with Mo too. He's great!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teachers looooove books! (love your joke!)

    Thanks for sharing how you use these books!! We are starting a weekly linky on mentor texts this weekend and trying to keep them organized for everyone so if you get a chance, link up! We'd love to have you!!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Mo Willems, and so do my kiddos! Thanks for sharing how you use the books!
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete