Friday, April 26, 2013

A Fantastic Five for Friday!

It's time for Five for Friday! 

Characters' Changing Feelings
This week, we talked a lot about how characters feelings change based on the problem, events, and solution.  We read Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse and identified Lilly's feelings at the beginning, middle, and end of the story.  I am really working to guide the kids away from using only "happy" and "sad" to using more meaningful words with different shades of meaning.  After we recorded Lilly's feelings, we discussed them in relation to the plot.  The kids realized that before the problem occurred, Lilly was having positive feelings, but afterwards, she was feeling negative emotions.  Then, when the problem was solved, she felt better.  It was a great discussion.  What was even better though, was that when I conferred with the students during independent reading, they were applying what they learned to their different books.  Almost everyone was able to discuss how their characters' feelings changed and why.
Please excuse the handwriting.  I did this in front of the kids,
so I didn't have time to be OCD about it.
Earth Day
For Earth Day, I made use of a FABULOUS resource from Katie Knight (Teacher to the Core).  I won her Ecology pack just in time to for the holiday.  Although, I didn't have time to plan and use everything in the pack, I LOVED the parts of it I did use including the mini book and the Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle graphic organizer.  The mini book was super fun for the kids because it was interactive.  In addition to reading the pages, they had to complete a little activity on each page.  I liked the clear explanations of key vocabulary.  I would definitely recommend checking out Katie's Earth Day ideas here.  



My Birthday!
Wednesday was my Golden Birthday!!  24 on the 24th!!  
Unfortunately, but fortunately, I was out for math training on the actual day of my birthday.  It was nice to get out early, but my class was disappointed even though I made them cookies on Tuesday to celebrate.
When I got back on Thursday, they showered me with cards and the parents surprised me with an AWESOME cake and beautiful flowers.  I was so surprised and touched.  I couldn't stop smiling.


Guest Readers
My students had the pleasure of listening to read alouds by not one, but two special guests this week!  Since she was on spring break, Jessica came to visit my classroom to have lunch with me.  Then, she stayed to read Stay The True Story of Ten Dogs (awesome book) to my class.  My kiddos were excited to see her and enraptured by the book.  In true teacher form, she asked plenty of good questions while reading and read with great expression.  

Then, today, my kiddos got the treat of meeting my mom and hearing her read aloud, Now One Foot, Now the Other by Tomie dePaola.  Since my mom loves caring for the elderly, it was especially meaningful for her to read that book.  It's such a sweet story.  I wish you could see how serious my kids faces were.  They all found the story sad, but hopeful and shared lots of meaningful connections.

Having guest readers was not only fun for me, but it was also quite helpful since my voice was shot from allergies.  I could barely muster up a strong whisper today.  Losing my voice all the time is SO annoying.  I lose it every time I get a cold, allergies, or another illness.  Also, if I am extra loud or enthusiastic at school or with friends or talk on the phone too much, my voice says "Sayonara!" and I'm raspy for the next few days.

Does anyone else lose their voice a lot from teaching or other things?  Do you have any tips or tricks to prevent this? 

Speaking of tips and tricks...
Tricks of the Trade Linky
I am excited to let you all know that starting next week, my best bud Jessica from Joy in the Journey and I will be hosting our very own linky party called Tricks of the Trade Thursday!  
Our goal is to provide a way for teachers to share their well-known tips and best kept secrets that make their lives and their classrooms run as smoothly as possible.  Each Thursday, there will be a theme (such as homework collection and management, manipulative storage, transition motivators, incentive systems, desk organization, filing systems, etc.).  You are invited to link up your tricks of the trade, or any idea, systems, Pinspirations, strategies etc. that keep your classroom running smoothly.

We will be kicking off this party next Thursday, May 2, with the theme of Bulletin Board Creation!

So, start thinking...
  • What tools do you use to create bulletin boards?
  • How often do you change them?
  • Do you have boards that stay up all year?
  • What types of materials do you put on them?
I can't wait to hear your tricks of the trade!

Please join us next Thursday!

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to your Tricks of the Trade linky! Really great idea! Happy belated birthday!
    :)Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "character changing feelings" is GREAT! I love that it is divided into B/M/E and that you require them to give evidence. Can't wait to use this idea!
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a fabulous week! I am excited for your linky party! We will have to have our own party next week to celebrate your birthday!

    Rosie
    Rosie's Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you enjoyed the unit!

    ReplyDelete