Friday, April 19, 2013

Five for Friday and a Bulletin Board Freebies

TGIF!

Let me just say, my kids new it was Friday!  However, it was hard to be frustrated with them because they looked so darn cute.  Today was Fancy Dress Up day so many of my girls were in adorable dresses and my boys were wearing dress shirts and ties.

It's been a few weeks since I've made it to Doodle Bugs' Five for Friday, so I am excited to be able to link up today.  However, in the midst of the busyness of the week, I didn't get to take many pictures, so I am taking advantage of Google Images.  I hope I'm not breaking the rules too much ;-)


1. 2-Digit Addition- This week I faced the challenge of introducing 2-digit addition to 40.  Believe me, I was nervous.  Last year, with Everyday Math, I never went beyond basic facts, so taking on 2-digit addition and subtraction was a daunting task.  All week, I had the kids working with manipulatives on place value charts building the numbers with their choice of manipulatives (base 10 blocks, cubes, bean sticks, popsicle sticks, straws).  Letting them choose manipulatives has been really beneficial, so that they learn to see tens and ones in different ways and really understand the concepts.  Plus, they like being able to choose.

By having the kids build the numbers and then add to them, they really began to understand how/why to add the one first, then the tens.  This helped them really get how to solve vertical addition sentences.

2. Making Bargains- As part of our persuasive writing unit, we talked about making bargains this week.  This came naturally to the kids since they probably use this tactic with their parents on a daily basis.  All I had to say was, "have you ever said, if you let me...I will..." and they started shouting out hundreds of examples of what they say!  It was so funny.

After discussion some examples in I Wanna Iguana, e.g. "I will clean his cage," I sent the kids off to write a letter to convince me to give them extra recess on Friday.  They had to try to include a bargain that would mean something to me.  

They came up with the funniest ideas!  Some were more realistic and persuasive, others were just cute.  Here are some of my favorites (sorry I don't have pictures): 

If you give us extra recess...
  • You can give me 10 pieces of homework.
  • I will earn my sticker all week.
  • You can empty the class marble jar.
  • I will stay after school to clean the classroom.
  • I will give you the biggest goody bag at my birthday party.
Since they worked really hard and a few of them did drive a hard bargain, I gave everyone a few minutes of extra recess today.  I wanted them to realize their words do have the power to change people's minds.


3. Character Connections- Today, we talked about how good readers think about the character's feelings and ask themselves: "Have I felt that way before?  How would I feel if that happened to me?"  This helps them not only understand, but also enjoy what they are reading.  

For my mini-lesson, I read aloud Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.  I modeled how to think about Alexander's feelings and how to connect them to my experiences.  It didn't take long for the kids to start enthusiastically sharing about times they have felt so frustrated or made that they wanted to "tear apart metal!"  One kid actually said that.  Yikes.  I certainly don't want to make him mad.  

After the kids talked with their partners about their connections and feelings, they wrote about them in their journals.  Then, they practiced again with their own just right books.  

4. and 5. Spring Bulletin Boards- I am cheating again and combining 4 and 5 together, since they are both bulletin boards.  I finally got both my boards changed for April.  
 
Please Take Care of Our Earth
The kids all wrote persuasive letters to people to convince them to either take care of the earth or to stop doing things that harm the earth.  You can pick up the Earth Day letter templates free here.

I wish I could have thought of a catchier title for the board, but I just couldn't come up with one.  If you have any ideas, I will gladly take suggestions.

Math Blooms All Around Us

Since our school focus this year is Math in Our World, a lot of teachers have been doing Math All About Me's to help the kids see that math is all around them.  I decided to do a spring themed one using flowers.  The kids drew a picture of themselves in the center and then wrote math related things about themselves in each of the petals.  I think they turned out super cute!


So, those are my five things.  I will try to remember to take more pictures next week.

Before I go, you can pick up the bulletin board title posters for free by clicking the picture below.  Again, if you have a good idea for a title for either board, let me know and I will change the freebies.  Thanks!


Hope you enjoy!  Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I love I Wanna Iguana!! Such a great book for persuasive writing. There is also I Wanna New Bedroom I think! So cute! :) Have a great weekend, Becky!

    Katie
    Smiles from 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete