Monday, April 29, 2013

Social Studies Mentor Text and a May Freebie

It's Monday again.  How did that happen?  

I had a good time with the kiddos, but my day started on a melancholy note.  I had to say goodbye to my mom after spending a fantastically fun weekend with her.  We had so much fun hanging out, talking walks, going for a hike, eating out, and spending a wonderful day in NYC.

I don't know about you, but I LOVE NYC!!  I get energized by the sights, sounds, and people.  It's so exciting to see all the diverse people, to hear the music in the subway, and to dodge in and out of the crowds.

My mom, Jessica, and Jessica's mom spent most of they day shopping.  I got some super cheap, but really pretty jewelry to wear to my sister's wedding and some AWESOME new books for my classroom.  If you haven't been to The Strand or The Scholastic Store, you are missing out.  The Strand has gazillions of books at really good prices.  The Scholastic Store has all of the best Scholastic books, plus teacher resources.  Best of all everything is 25-50% off if you show your teacher ID!

After we were all shopped out, we had a delicious and decadent feast at Max Brenner, a restaurant known for it's amazing chocolate.  I ate thoroughly too much, but enjoyed every bite!  Finally, we ended the adventure with a trip to see Cinderella on Broadway.  It was FANTASTIC!!  The set and costumes were magical.  We really could not figure out how some of the transformations took place.  Laura Osnes (Cinderella) was incredible.  Her singing, dancing, and acting were all superb.  It was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

It was such a great day and a great weekend.

However, now it's time for more fun with the kiddos.  It's starting to be that time of year when the calendar gets booked with extra events like field day, field trips, and so much more.  I am really looking forward to the fun, but afraid that I am not going to have time to get all the work done.  It's going to be a wild ride to the end of the year.

Before I get to work on the pile of things I have to do, I want to highlight one of my new books for Collaboration Cuties' Mentor Text linky.

The Bat Boy and His Violin is the sweet story of a little boy and his dad who is a baseball coach for a team in the Negro leagues.  The story takes place right in 1948, the year after Jackie Robinson debuted in the Major League.  In the story, the boy is a talented and dedicated violin player who is not understood by his father.  When his dad makes him become a bat boy for the Dukes, the boy tries his best, but ends up complicating things.  Finally, his dad tells him just to sit on the bench and play his violin.  Well it turns out that's the best thing he could have done.  The boy's playing encourages the defeated team and they end up winning game after game after game.  Even though they lose the championship, the dad has learned to love his son and is quite proud of the boy's violin playing.  It is such a sweet story.  I almost teared up reading it.

This story could be used to spark so many great conversations about family relationships and/or Black History, since the events take place at such a pivotal time of change in our country.  I am really looking forward to reading and discussing this book with my class.
Two more quick things before I go.  Stick with me cause one's a freebie!  

If you haven't heard yet, Jessica from Joy in the Journey and I are launching a new linky party this Thursday! 
Tricks of the Trade Thursday is going to be a way for us all to share the tips and tricks that help keep our classrooms running smoothly.  Each week, we will have a different topic of focus.  This week, our theme will be Bulletin Board Creation.  We would love to have you link up to share your tricks of the trade!
If you are still here, thanks for sticking with me.  You are really building your stamina!  Hehehe.  You deserve a freebie.

Since May is almost here, it's time for my monthly What I Learned Sheet.  If you are looking for a way to help your kiddos remember what they learned each day, look no further.  :-)  
PDF File
Editable Word Document
Hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, NYC?! What fun! And Scholastic books at 50% off? That's worth the trip right there!
    BTW, I found you through Classroom Freebies. Thanks for the freebie share!
    Julie
    OpenWideTheWorld

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story! I think I've seen that book but I'm not sure if I read it!! I can't wait for your new linky! It sounds fun and helpful!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete