Tuesday, April 23, 2013

States of Matter Mentor Text

To all you who suffer with allergies, I can now officially empathize with you.  The pollen count must be off the charts because I almost never get spring allergies, but I have been hit hard with them for several days now.  I love spring flowers, but this is no fun.

Enough complaining though.  I really don't have it that badly compared to some people and even so, there is so much to enjoy about spring that I should focus on, rather than feeling sorry for myself.  For example, I love how long it stays light.  I love taking walks in the evening when the sun is just starting to go down.  It's so bright and beautiful.

Since I have conquered the majority of my lesson plans for next week, I decided what better thing to do than blog?

I am happy to have time to link up with Amanda and Stacia for their Mentor Text linky.  This week's theme is science.

One of my favorite units to teach in science is about states of matter.  The kids love all the different experiments and explorations we do including melting an ice cube, making juice pops etc.

In addition to doing lots of experiments with matter, I like to use the book What is the World Made Of?  It's part of the Let's Read and Find Out About Science series, which has lots of great books to use to teach all kinds of science concepts.  This book is great because it addresses the most important vocabulary and concepts about matter in a really easy-to-understand way.  Key vocabulary is bold and colorful.  The pictures are useful and cute.  Speech bubbles add humor and fun on many pages.  Also, the book gives tons of examples of the different states of matter and some ideas for home or school experiments that would be fun for the kids to try.  Overall, the book gives a lot of information in a way that is enjoyable for many ages of kids.



How's that for a one word description?  

For anyone who couldn't tell, I might possibly have made it up...*

I couldn't think of any other way to describe such a fun and informational book, so FUNformational was the best I could do.  Hehehe.

*REVISION: Apparently great minds think alike and I did not make this word up.  I went to visit Hippo Hooray for Second Grade and discovered that Angela has already coined the word Funformational!  How cool is that?  I'm thinking we should launch a real-life version of Frindle.  Who's with me?

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I love funformational!! So cute! I say we frindle it all the way!

    We use this book when we into states of matter too!! I love this series of books!

    I hope your allergies get better!! Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally game for petitioning Webster to make "funformational" a word :) I love the "Let's Read and FInd Out" series, but I don't have this book. Thanks for the recommendation!

    Angela :)
    Hippo Hooray for Second Grade!

    ReplyDelete