Friday, May 3, 2013

5 for Friday and a Photo Caption Contest!!

Step right up, step right up to the Greatest Linky on Friday!!  Presenting Doodle Bugs' Five for Friday!!

Woo hoo!
Sorry for the cheesiness.  We had a circus-themed field day today, so my mind is still "under the big top." 

Without further ado, I present to you, the spectacular, magnificent, astounding, somewhat cool things we did this week.  

The Golden Lunchbox 
My kids about lost their minds this week when they found out that we finally won the Golden Lunchbox!  
Before you say, "what in the world?," let me back up and explain...  This year our school became a CATCH school.  CATCH stands for Coordinated Approach to Child Health.  Basically, it's a big initiative to teach kids about healthy eating and exercise using terms like GO, SLOW, and WHOA foods and characters like Flash Fitness, Hearty Heart, and Dynamo Diet.  I have some qualms about the program, but mostly am on board with the idea of teaching kids healthy habits.  I am actually on the school CATCH committee.  
In order to encourage kids to bring in GO food (healthy) snacks like fruits, veggies, low fat cheese, whole grains etc., our principal initiated a class tally system.  Every 2 weeks, the classes who tally the most GO food snacks, win the Golden Lunch box and get to have lunch with the "Chef" (our principal).  
My class has been SUPER motivated to win, so they were over the moon to not only win, but to set the record for the entire school!  Over the course of 2 weeks, we tallied 295 GO foods!

Comparing Characters
As a wrap up activity to our character study unit, I had the students compare characters to themselves.  They used a handy form I got from The Mailbox to draw and write about the characters that were most like them and least like them.  A lot of the kids chose to write about Kevin Henkes characters since we focused on them so much throughout the unit.  However, as you can see, one sweetie chose to say that she is not like Biscuit because she does "not eat cat food."  Hehehehe.

Tricks of the Trade
I know that some of you are probably sick of hearing about it, but my best bud Jessica and I launched a brand new linky this week called Tricks of the Trade Thursday.  You can read more about it and link up here or by clicking the picture below.  We would love to hear your tips for creating beautiful bulletin boards. The bloggers who have already linked up have shared some great ideas!   
Plants






We started one of my favorite science units...Plants!  I love how many fun and real-world activities you can do to teach plants.  To start of the unit, we did the traditional bean in a bag activity.  The kids are very eager to see what comes out of the seed first.  Some predicted the root would, others said the stem, and some said both would come out at once.  They shall be in for a treat when they come in on Monday....

In addition to the basic beans, we also planted a variety of seeds including mustard, grass, pumpkins, and peas.  The kiddos had so much fun with the whole process.  They got to fill their cups with soil, make holes for seeds, plant the seeds, and water.  Now, it's just a matter of time before the shoots pop up, at least I hope it is. 

Circus Field Day
As I said at the start of this post, today was field day.  It was a blast!  A very tiring blast, but a blast nonetheless.  My class spent the day paired up with another first grade class and went around to different centers both inside and outside the building.  I was happy to be paired with Heather's class, since Heather is my best teaching comrade and friend at school.  She and I worked together to corral the kids all day and even broke out some classic camp songs to keep the kids engaged during down time.  Can I get a Boom Chicka Boom anyone?

To end our field day experience, we had an assembly where we got to watch a circus performer do some crazy tricks.  He was really funny and talented.  The kids could not get enough of his falling down antics and they were amazed by the juggling, plate spinning, and unicycling.  However, the most jaw-dropping (literally) moment of the act was when he did this....

Prepare to be amazed...

astounded...

shocked...

and

terrified...


He balanced a ladder on his chin.  

My jaw was on the floor.

If I didn't have a picture, I wouldn't believe it.

I still don't believe it.

Part of me was amazed.  The rest was terrified for for the kindergartners in the front row!

The insanity of this experience/picture has motivated me to hold a fun contest!

All you have to do is leave a comment with your idea for a picture caption.  I will choose the best caption and give that person a TpT gift card.  The only other rules is that captions must be in good taste.  I know I probably don't need to say this, but I will not consider any caption that has profanity, racy connotations, or is degrading to this man.  He is a very talented performer and clearly knew what he was doing.

That's it.  I can't wait to read the captions you come up with!  It's going to be so much fun.  Feel free to spread the word by pinning or posting the picture above.  Just be sure to link back to this post, so people can enter.

7 comments:

  1. Caption "This man is clearly afraid of heights. He'd rather balance the ladder on his chin than have to climb up it!"

    Hahaha! I'm horrible at this kind of stuff!! What a fun Five for Friday!!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new way to change the light bulbs in the gym... But now how will the janitor get to the top?!

    A little lame, but all I could see was someone trying to stand on top!! Amanda's is funny!! ;-)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a caption for ya but that is hysterical! :). I'm Brandee, your newest follower. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing I can think of is "A jaw dropping experience!" Lame I know....
    Michelle
    Mjaquillard@oregoncs.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go on your golden lunchbox! My daughter would love such a glam looking lunchbox for her very own.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been trying to think of a caption...this is what I got! 'Look mom no hands!!! I used my chin instead!'

    Rosie
    Rosie's Rambles

    ReplyDelete