Monday, May 20, 2013

BBBB: Budding Blogger and Blogging Buddies


Another Monday is done.  To all of you who had your last Monday of the year today, congratulations!  It's so hard for me to believe how many of you are almost done with the year.  I still have a good number of days left.  23 to be exact.  Not that I'm counting...

Speaking of counting, I am amazed and so thankful for all the new followers and for everyone who has entered my 100 Follower Giveaway!  I am getting very excited and can't wait to announce the winners.  If you haven't entered yet, click the tab at the top of my blog to find out the awesome prizes and to enter.  I'd love to have you join the fun.

Though I have gained quite a few new followers through the giveaway, I am still under 200; therefore, according to I {heart} Recess, I am a Budding Blogger.  How cute a name is that?


This is such a fun linky.  I am so excited to be able to link up.  I hope that my answers to these questions will help all of you get to know me a bit more.  Plus, I hope to get to know some other Budding Bloggers when they link up.  So, without further ado...

1. Why did you start blogging?

I started my blog for a variety of reasons.  My best friend Jessica got me started reading teaching blogs.  I soon became addicted.  I loved getting fresh ideas and great freebies.  I began to contemplate sharing my own ideas and teaching adventures.  I have always enjoyed journaling about my experiences, so I decided to take the plunge and start a blog.  On a different note, I am an advocate for an organization called Compassion International.  Compassion is dedicated to releasing children from poverty.  I thought that a blog could be a good way to raise awareness and support to help children in need.

2. What is your favorite subject to teach and why?

For once, I have an exact answer to this question instead of trying to choose on of a many favorites.  My favorite subject to teach is definitely writing.  As someone who loves writing, I enjoy sharing my passion with my students and hope that it will be contagious.  I want my students to realize that they are authors and that their words have power and meaning.  They can persuade, entertain, and inform even at their young ages.  I also love reading what my students write.  I am always amazed by their creativity!  Plus, it's so exciting to see each child grow as a writer throughout the year.  I love looking back to compare their first stories to their last to see their progress.

3. Describe Your Teaching Style

I try to make things fun and engaging.  I use a lot of mentor texts, manipulatives, and other materials.  My kids are very involved in their own learning through discussion and hands-on activities.  I like to have them share their ideas and even explain things in their own words when they can.  I also love small group and one-on-one instruction because it helps me get to know each learner on a deeper level, so I can meet his/her needs.

3. Three Interesting Facts About Me:
I'm a Theater Kid! 
I was in theater all throughout high school and LOVED it.  My school had the most incredible theater teacher ever.  We did 11-12 plays each year, which is pretty much unheard of at a public high school.  I had a blast working both behind the scenes and acting on stage.  Plus, the theater community was such a fun one to be a part of.  I miss it so much.
Me as Janet MacKenzie in Witness for the Prosecution.
Best role I ever had.  The makeup took an hour.
I'm a Guard Girl
When I wasn't busy with theater in high school, I was busy with color guard.  I was in the fall color guard with the marching band for four years in high school and one year of college.  Guard was intense and frustrating at times, but overall I loved it.  It was the only sport (yes, it's a sport) I was every decent at.  I spun flags, a rifle, and a sabre.  Sabre was my favorite.
Can you find me?  I look slightly different.
I'm a Traveler
I absolutely love to travel.  Growing up, I was fortunate enough to be able to see a lot of the country while camping with my family.  We went on at least one marathon road trip every summer and enjoyed seeing historical sights and spending time in nature.  Some of my favorite memories are of times around the campfire telling stories and making s'mores.

In addition to traveling around the U.S., I was also blessed with the opportunity to go to Europe in high school and the Dominican Republic in college.  Now, I am gearing up to go to India this summer to serve orphans and to go to Amsterdam with my best friend from high school for some more European adventures.
On the Norman Coast wading in the English Channel.

3. Do I have a TpT store?

Nope.  I don't.  I know I may be a rarity, but right now, I just don't feel the need to start that journey.  I am a relatively new teacher who doesn't have the time or the ideas right now to sustain a store.  Plus, there are so many other amazing sellers out there, so I don't need to join the mix.  If I do have time to create things for my students, I enjoy sharing them for free.  :-)

Enough about that for now.  It's time for Let's Get Acquainted!!  


This week, you will be getting acquainted with some of my blogging buddies.  I have so many new bloggy friends that it's hard to choose who to introduce you to.  However, I have made my choices and am happy to highlight two three lovely ladies and their blogs.

First of all...Jessica from Joy in the Journey!
Joy in the Journey
For those of you new followers who don't know that I talk about Jessica all the time, I just wanted to share one more time that Jessica and I are not only blogging buddies, but real life best buds.  We met in college and survived the craziness of the education program together.  Jessica is an amazing woman of God whose positive, upbeat disposition can encourage anyone no matter what they are going through.  I am so blessed to have her as a friend.

As a teacher, Jessica is a master.  She is incredibly talented.  She has so many fun and creative ideas that she shares on her blog and channels into her TpT products. They are definitely worth checking out!

Now, I would like to highlight another real life friend...Rose from Rosie's Rambles!


Rose is relatively new to the blogging world, but she is already awesome at both blogging and creating TpT products.  In real life, she is so much fun.  I met her through Jessica and have had a lot of fun getting to know her.  She is also a strong woman of God who has been very encouraging to me as I prepare to go on my mission trip to India this summer.  I appreciate her support and friendship a lot. 

Lastly, I wanted to mention my blogging world friend Amanda from Mrs. Pauley's Kindergarten.

Mrs Pauleys Kindergarten

Amanda is super sweet.  I bet her kindergartners and their parents LOVE her.  I have enjoyed getting to know Amanda by reading her posts and e-mailing back and forth a bit.  I can tell that she is an amazing teacher.  She has some really fun ideas and sells great products in her TpT store.  I love how colorful her creations are because color is awesome!   

So, those are my blogging buddies.  Link up with Latoya to share yours!

Before I go, one more reminder to enter my giveaway by clicking the link at the top of my page.  Also, keep in mind this weeks Tricks of the Trade Thursday Theme is:
So, Field Trips, how do you schedule them, organize them, manage them, etc. What types of activities do you do before, during, and/or after your trips?
Start thinking about what tricks of the trade you want to share!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Becky! I am so glad we have become friends. You are amazing!! :)

    Hugs,
    Amanda
    Mrs. Pauley's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky!
    So happy to find you through Latoya's linky!
    I think your blogging buddies are pretty awesome, especially Miss Amanda up there!!
    I am thrilled to be a new follower and look forward to reading more posts!
    Have a great week,
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Becky. I'm a new blogger and found your blog on the budding bloggers link as I was searching for bloggers to nominate for the Liebster Award. I was just nominated by my friend and colleage Jen from That First Grade Blog and am paying it forward by nominating you for the award since you are so close to having 200 followers. I am now following your blog and would love it if you would follow my blog as well. Please read my blog to find out more about the Liebster Award. Thanks. Lori from Mrs. Ross's Science Class.

    ReplyDelete