Friday, May 10, 2013

Five for Friday and a Winner!!

It's Friday.  Phew.  

It's been a long week.  A good week (mostly), but I long one.  For some reasons my allergies kicked up again, so I've been pretty miserable for the last two days.

Also, are anybody else's kids going bonkers?  Mine sure are.  

I had to give them a pretty serious talk on Tuesday following a reading of Miss Nelson because they were being so disrespectful.  I know that some of their chattiness is my fault for not nipping it in the bud earlier in the year.  However, they are more than chatty lately; they are rude.  Sorry to put it so bluntly, but when students call out with intentionally sarcastic comments and complain audibly about the work they have to do, I get so frustrated.  I want them to realize how blessed they are to be able to get a good education.  So many kids, including my Compassion sweeties value their education so much because they know that it's the only way they will be able to break out of the cycle of poverty.

Speaking of Compassion, I feel like I have neglected that aspect of my blog lately.  I am planning to incorporate a Compassion component into my 100 Follower Giveaway, which is coming up very soon!  

Tonight though, I still want to take the time to introduce you to a few kiddos who are in need of loving sponsors.
Stella Alfred Christopher 
Proceed to our secure online form
How precious is she?  I just want to scoop her up and give her a hug.  I can't believe she has been waiting 251 days for a sponsor. 

Stella is 5 years old and in kindergarten.  She lives in a region of Tanzania where she is at high risk for contracting AIDS, being exploited, or catching a serious illness like malaria.  Stella is one of 6 kids in a family where her mother and father are only occasionally employed.  At home, she helps out with washing clothes and loves playing dolls for fun.  

If you are interested in changing her life through sponsorship, click here or her picture above.  Sponsorship is only $38 a month, but it would make a WORLD of difference for Stella by helping her receive the health screenings, medical care, hygiene education, academic education, and many other things she needs to thrive. 
W Nirmal Shehan 
Proceed to our secure online form
Now for you kindergarten teachers who love the sweet, little boys in your class, meet Nirmal.  He is 5 years old and enjoys singing, bicycling, and hide-and-seek.  What kid doesn't?  He helps his family by carrying water, washing clothes, and buying or selling in the market. lives in Sri Lanka in an area where the typical houses are made of cement, have dirt floors, and tin or cement roofs.  Common health problems in the area include fevers, coughs, colds, diarrhea, malnutrition, and vomiting.  

Imagine how your students would react to living in those conditions or in danger of getting those illnesses?

Malnutrition is a lot more serious than a paper cut or a scraped knee.

Again, I am amazed that this cutie has been waiting 282 days for a loving sponsor.  I hope and pray that one of you will make it so that he doesn't have to wait a day longer.  Click here or the picture to sign up.

Beyond meeting these children's physical and educational needs, sponsorship helps these children to realize they are loved and special.  Stella and Nirmal would be so blessed to receive letters from loving sponsors and their children.  

Please consider helping change the life of one or both of these children.  If you have any questions at all about sponsorship, please contact me!  Also, you can learn more at the Compassion website.

Now, on to my Five for Friday.  Thanks again to Doodle Bugs for hosting.

fiveforfriday
Retelling Practice
 
 
For read to someone this week, my kids practiced retelling using the retelling checklist I posted about last Sunday.  It worked really well!  I had everyone put the page in their plastic page protectors to save paper.  This made the kids very happy because they got to use dry erase marker.  

As I eavesdropped on the retellings, I was pleased with how well the kids were doing both retelling and coaching each other to improve.

If you'd like a copy of the retelling checklist click here.  
Art Show
This week was our school art show.  The students awesome artwork covered all of the first floor bulletin boards, which where labeled by teacher names with a travel theme.  I am always amazed by the work that such youngin's can produce.  After having a very interesting conversation with our art teacher today, I now realize that this age is a ripe age for students to learn to love art because they are still young enough to believe they are artists.  Sadly, by the time they reach older grades, they will have gradually learned that there is a "right way" to do art and that some people are artists, but they are not.  That's so sad, but true.

Besides seeing the students' work on display, the highlight of the art show was the revealing of half of our new school mural.  Check out the awesomeness!  
Main street in out town
Our school!
This half of the mural is one of the two towns our district covers.  The other half will be the other town.  I cannot wait to see it.  Again, the students' talent blows me away.  The mural project was organized by the PTA and an artistic parent, but all of the drawings are student-created.  The kindergartners and first grades made the hand and foot prints for the borders and the second graders drew and colored everything else.  All they had was a picture to reference, but they nailed the details!  I feel like I could walk right into the wall and be in our town.
Mother's Day
Confession time.  I am a slacker when it comes to having my students make Mother's and Father's Day gifts.  The holidays always seem to sneak up on me during really busy weeks.  Thankfully, Mrs. Monroe came to my rescue.  I found this adorable freebie on her blog School is a Happy Place.
Some of my kid's responses made me say, "ahhh," but others cracked me up.  Here are a few favorites.

So sweet.
Mom must be really talented and beautiful.

 It's so cute how they believe they are the center of their mother's world.  They are probably right!
However, if mom really is a cannibal, I might need to call Child Protective Services...
Teacher Appreciation Week

Was anyone else spoiled this week for Teacher Appreciation Week?  I know I was.  The PTA did a wonderful job of providing us with some sweet treats, a delicious lunch, and a scrumptious breakfast.  Also, my own kids' parents showered me with adorable cards and some generous gifts including that awesome chalkboard mug.  Who ever heard of such a thing?

Organisms
The kids were overjoyed to discover our class "pets" (guppies, snails, and water plants) when they arrived on Thursday.  What was really cute is that many of them had written persuasive letters begging me to get a class pet.  When the pets arrived, they thought their letters had worked.  The fact that the organisms would have come anyway will be our little secret.  :-)

Whew, this got longer than I expected it to.  Before I go though, I have to announce the winner of the photo caption contest.  All of the entries made me laugh, but after consulting an objective outside source, I have chosen the winner...

A jaw-dropping experience!!
Congratulations to Michelle from Taming My Flock of Firsties!!

She won a gift card of her choice for her funny caption with a double meaning.  He balanced the ladder on his jaw and our jaws dropped.

If you are still here, thanks for sticking with me through a long post.  Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Love the retelling activity and the mom's day activity. Precious! Found you through the linky! I'm a new follower!

    Karen
    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. The school mural is great! Love the retelling checklist.
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate that we are going through similar behavior issues at school, but know that you are not alone!!!

    Crystal Shepherd
    lucytumnus@gmail.com
    The lamppost in 1st grade math

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the mural is lovely. And I love the illustrations in the Mother's Day book. As pretty as a coconut? :)
    Awesome of you to highlight your passion for serving others. We actually had someone speak at our church yesterday on the behalf of Compassion International. Very moving.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete