Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Greedy Triangle Math Mentor Text

Happy Mother's Day!

I hope everyone is having a great day of celebration.  I wish that I could be with my wonderful mom today, but even though I'm not with her, I still appreciate her.  She is an amazing woman who loves me so much and is a great source of wisdom and support.

Since I'm super tired and need a nap, I'm hoping to make this a quick post, but we'll see what happens.  I'm linking up with Collaboration Cuties for their Mentor Text linky.  This week's theme is math.

The mentor text I'd like to highlight is The Greedy Triangle by Marilyn Burns.

This book is a super cute and fun way to introduce students to plane shapes and their properties.  At the beginning of the story, Triangle is proud of who he is.  He likes to take the shape of pizza and to fill in the space created when people put their hands on their hips.  Then, he gets bored with who he is and wants to be a more complex shape.  He shifts into a quadrilateral and takes the shape of a TV, a book page etc.  Again, he is not content.  He shifts into a pentagon and then many other shapes on his journey to be an exciting shape.  Finally, he gets overwhelmed with his changes and decides to turn back into a triangle.  He realizes that he is happy being himself with three sides and three corners.

I like this book because it introduces the number of sides and corners on various shapes and shows where they can be found in the real world.  Also, it has a good message about being content to be who you are.  

Two other bonuses about the book are that at the end of the book, there is a page of ideas for parents and teachers to use to teach shapes and there is a YouTube video read aloud of the book.  I can't get it to show up here for some reason, but this is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPuI4XyyZUE


I hope you will enjoy this book like I do.  Another great book to use to teach shapes is When I Line Bends, A Shape Begins.
I would recommend using both of these books together.  They are both fun and educational!

Well, that's it for me.  Time for a nap.

Have a great day everyone!

P.S. Stay tuned for my 100 follower giveaway later this week.  2 more followers to go and then it will be a great celebration!

Also, this week's Trick's of the Trade Thursday topic will be End of the Year Gifts.  Get our your cameras, dust off your keyboard and get ready to share your ideas for teacher, student, and even parent gifts.  I can't wait to discover some great new ideas!

6 comments:

  1. Love the Greedy Triangle, but I have not seen the other one. I will have to check into it! Thanks for sharing!

    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a great nap...I just woke up from one! I love the Greedy Triangle-such a great book. The other one is new to me. I'll have to check it out soon.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Greedy Triangle! I've even dressed up as him for our Storybook Character parade.

    BTW...I'm #99!
    Kristin
    Teachntex

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Greedy Triangle!! It's one of my favorite books! I have not heard of the 2nd book but I'm putting it on my list so that I can get it! I love the title of it!! Thanks for linking up!!!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these are great ideas! Finding literature to support math lessons is so important!
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never read either of these texts. I love reading about tried and true books by other teachers. I will certainly check these out.
    Have a nice week.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete