Thursday, May 30, 2013

Tricks of the Trade Thursday: Poster Storage and Organization

Thursday has come again!

Time for another Tricks of the Trade linky party!  Jessica and I are having so much fun hosting this linky.  It's been great to read everyone's posts.  I've already gathered so many great new ideas from all of you creative, organized teachers out there.

This week I am once again excited to share my ideas and to get some new ones for...Poster/Bulletin Board Storage and Organization.



Milk Crates

I have a confession to make.  I LOVE milk crates.  Milk crates are my favorite.  I have TONS of milk crates at home and in my classroom.  I use them for clothes, books, supplies, everything.  There are so many reasons why I love them.  They are cheap, yet durable, compact, stackable, versatile, and so much more.  I dream of one day having my very own milk crate benches for my classroom...
A First Grade Journey
Sigh...

Okay, Becky.  Time to snap out of it and get to the point.  Hehe.

I use a milk crate to store my posters/anchor charts.  The crate sits in the corner of my classroom closet and holds all the rolled up anchor charts and posters perfectly.

Sticky Note Labels

Now, I know some of you may be wondering, how do I tell the posters apart?  

Using sticky notes of course.

Sticky notes are another genius invention that I could praise for several paragraphs if I had the time and thought anyone would care to read about it.  Fortunately for you, I don't have the time to meditate on sticky notes right now.  Maybe another time... Hehe.

For now, I will just show you how I use sticky notes to label my anchor charts.


Basically, what I do is every time I am done with an anchor chart, I roll it up, rubber band it, and label it with a sticky note.  The sticky note either has the title or the topic of the anchor chart on it, so that I don't have to unroll the whole thing later to figure out what it is.  If I have multiple anchor charts for the same topic, e.g. realistic fiction, I roll them all together and just label them as a whole topic.  That way, when it's time for that unit, I have all the anchor charts I need ready to go.

In order to help the sticky notes stay on, I put the rubber bands right over them when I wrap the poster.  That way if the stick wears off, the label will still stay with the correct anchor chart.

Seasonal Drawers
One of the big projects I took on when I got back in my classroom last August was organizing my bulletin board supplies.  I had lots of letters in baggies and posters, but no real neat place to put them.  To fix this problem, I decided to try organizing my bulletin board supplies by season in a set of three Sterilite Drawers.


The top drawer is for Fall, the middle for winter, and the bottom for spring.  Inside each drawer, I have the posters and baggies of die cut letters I use for those seasonal boards.  I also have die cut seasonal die cut shapes like leaves, snowflakes, and flowers in the appropriate drawers.


Using this system of drawers has been great!  It has been so easy for me to find things I need from last year and to store new things I make.  I am so glad I took the time to set them up.

Goals

I have a few organizational goals for next year that will hopefully help me keep even better track of posters and bulletin board supplies.  

  1. Fix Border Storage: I need to find a better way to store borders.  Right now, I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that they are haphazardly shoved into a cabinet.  Yikes!
  2. Organize Mini-Posters: I want to find I way to organize all of the little construction paper-backed posters I have made.  I have so many cute posters for reading, writing, math etc., but no real method of organizing them.  Right now, they are just in the drawer of a filing cabinet.
I have two ideas for ways to organize these little posters, but am not sure which is best.  I appreciate any advice you may have to give.  Here are my thoughts.  I could either put them in file folders by subject, so that they are stored more officially in the cabinet.  Or, I could put them in a binder using sheet protectors.  I like the second idea better because I am not a huge fan of file folders.  However, I am not sure if all of them will fit inside sheet protectors.  

What do you think?  How do you store your borders and little posters? 

I appreciate any thoughts and ideas.  You can share them in a comment or better yet, link up to share them with the whole blogging world.  That would be awesome!  If you decide to join the party, be sure to grab the button below and link up to this post.  

Also, be sure to check out Jessica's post for some more great ideas!
Joy in the Journey

Thanks!  Have a great Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. I do love anything that has a drawer! My down fall is that I put too much in them and then they start to tear up. Oops...but I love that you separate by season, I think that would be helpful!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for becoming a new follower! I love the drawer idea! That is so smart and I feel it would be easy to keep it organized. I just became a new follower!

    ReplyDelete