Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tried it Tuesday: ABC Countdown (Freebie Included)

Before I say anything else tonight, I want to say that my thoughts and prayers are with the people of Oklahoma, especially those whose lives were just turned upside down by the tornadoes.  Even as someone who grew up in Iowa and has an irrational fear of tornadoes, I cannot imagine the terror the people there felt during the storm and the devastation they are feeling now as they pick up the pieces.  I pray that God will make Himself known in this situation and that He will bring peace and comfort to all those who are hurting.

Now, I am linking up for my second Tried it Tuesday with Fourth Grade Flipper for hosting.


After seeing so many blog posts about ABC Countdowns to the end of the year, I decided I had to join the fun.  I planned my calendar (get it FREE) using several different sources including Jivey and added a few of my own ideas. 
The countdown started last week with Animal Day.  The kids were allowed to bring a stuffed animal friend to be their companion, which of course they LOVED.  It was so cute to see them reading with their animals during Read to Self.  Book Day and Colorful Day were also successful.  The kids brought in and read their favorite books and then dressed up in crazy colors.  Frankly, they didn't look that different than normal.  I am jealous of how kids get away with wearing so many colors and patterns at once.  I wish I could do that!

Actually, I did dress quite colorfully today for D-Day.  Do I mean the invasion of Normandy?  Of course not. I mean Disco Dance Day!!!

Today, we dressed up in crazy 80's clothes  and discoed through the day.  It didn't matter that Miss Hoffman totally mixed up her decades and forgot that the 70's were the disco days (oops).  We still had fun.  

I was all to happy to set the example for dressing up by decking myself out in crazy colors and my favorite thrift store purchase ever...BRIGHT BLUE SPANDEX!!  I even managed to get my hair into a small side ponytail.  If only I had a scrunchie...


When the kids came in, I was happy to see that several of them went all out.  They looked so groovy in their neon clothes, shades, and crazy jewelry.  

Throughout the day, I played disco music on Pandora during snack, for brain breaks, and other free times.  The kids had a blast dancing around the room.  We also boogied down the halls drawing quite a few stares in the process.

Overall, it was such a fun day!  I can't wait for Estimation Day tomorrow.  We are going to do some fun (and tasty) estimation activities.

Have a groovy night everyone!

P.S. Yes, I am linking up with Khrys for Share Whatcha Wear.  No, I do not wear this everyday, but if I could that would be totally rad!  Hehehe!

1 comment:

  1. I love that your "D" day is disco day:) I had to laugh that you dressed up as for the 80's:) You are so young...at least I was actually born in the 70's! haha! Thanks for linking up, Becky!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete