Monday, May 13, 2013

Why am I a Teacher?

Yet another Monday of school is over.  We are getting low on Mondays this year.  I think we only have 5 left this year?

I know some of you have way less than that left.  That's crazy.


Speaking of days left, it's only 3 more days until the next Tricks of the Trade Thursday linky.  This week's theme is End of the Year Gifts.  They could be for teachers, students, parents, colleagues etc.  Feel free to share things you've done, pins you want to try, anything at all!

Also, big news.  
I officially have 100 FOLLOWERS!!!!!!


I am SO pumped.  My 100 Follower Giveaway is going to be awesome!  It starts this Friday so stay tuned and be ready to enter THREE different ways.  Also, it's not to late to donate to the cause.  If you'd like to be part of the giveaway, please fill out the Google form on this post ASAP.  Thanks!

Enough celebrating...for now.  There will be plenty more on Friday.  Now it's time to link up with Latoya for her Let's Get Acquainted linky.


What made you decide to become a teacher?

I don't have the clearest answer to this question.  Growing up, I went through the typical phases of wanting to be an astronaut, an author, and a million other glamorous and dramatic things.  The one I wanted to be the most and for the longest time was a gourmet chef.  However, in the back of my mind, I always thought about being a teacher.  I loved kids.  At church, I was always drawn to the kids younger than me, even when I was very young myself.  Then, when I got older, I became a babysitter and taught preschool Sunday School.  I discovered how much I liked teaching kids.  Still, by the time I got to high school, I was pretty into the idea of being an interior designer.  I even applied to The Art Institute of the Pittsburgh and started at Liberty as an Family and Consumer Science major.  After one semester, during which I had a really lame introductory interior design class, I realized that it was time to move on from that idea.  I had enough doubts about my abilities and interest in the profession and it seemed that God was not opening the doors for me to end up on HGTV.  Long story short, I decided that rather than wasting anymore time and money, I would try the first few education classes to see if that felt right.  It totally did.  After pretty much the first day of those classes, I knew I was exactly where God wanted me to be.  I not only wanted to be a teacher, but felt called to be one.  I've never looked back.

What has been your most rewarding experience as a teacher?

Hmmm....  This is a toughie.  I have had lots of rewarding experiences, but since I have only taught 2 years (2.5 if you count student teaching), I haven't had anything super impressive happen.  However, sometimes the little things are more rewarding than dramatic moments.  

My most rewarding moment was this year when a little boy of mine finally declared, "I'm a reader!"

I've blogged about this cutie before, so I won't go into huge detail.  Basically, he came to me this year as a student who should have been retained last year.  He didn't know his letter sounds, he was an early emergent speller, and he had trouble reading the DRA level A book.  After a couple months of intensive one-on-one work with me and in small groups with the reading teacher, he got to the point where he could actually really read low level books.  It was while he was reading with me one time, that he stopped and announced, "I'm a reader!"

When he said that, my heart melted.  I was so proud of him.  I made a huge deal about it.

I still make a huge deal about his accomplishments because I know that he doesn't have the best support at home.  Even though he is still so far behind, I want him to realize that he is a learner and that he can be successful.  When he gets frustrated, I have him repeat after me: "I'm a reader.  I'm a writer.  I'm good at math.  I'm a good boy."  My inspiration for this was the movie The Help.  It may be a bit cheesy, but even when he's frustrated, he ends up smiling as he says the words.

If I was not a teacher, what would I be?

Good question.  I know I wouldn't go back to the idea of being an interior designer.  Also, I don't know if I could handle the long hot hours and the intense pressure of being a gourmet chef.  It might be fun to be a baker in a bakery.  I also like to write, but don't have consistent enough inspiration to write the volume of work it would take to keep food on the table.  

I think I would probably end up working with kids in some other way at a camp, a non-profit, with Compassion, or something like that.  I love kids too much to not be around them all the time.

That was a very reflective experience.  I enjoyed it a lot.  I also look forward to learning more about what made you all decide to become teachers.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on reaching 100 followers! I love your story about your little kiddo declaring himself a reader! Those moments are just precious!

    Karen
    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete