Sunday, July 7, 2013

Liebster Award and Last Post Pre-India

Hi all!

I am so excited right now.  Life is so good.  God is so good.  I have been insanely busy lately, but yet it has all been a blessing.  I've had some great times hanging out with friends, a wonderful time of fellowship and devotion at Spruce Lake Retreat Center for the 4th of July, and I attended a beautiful wedding yesterday for my good friend from camp who I haven't seen in years.

With all these blessings, finding out that Amber from School is a Happy Place nominated me for the Liebster Award was definitely icing on the cake!  Thank you so, so much to Amber.  She has such a great blog and is such a sweet person, so I am honored that she chose me as one of her nominees.

For those of you who don't know what the Liebster Award is or for anyone who needs a refresher, here's the basics:

Liebster is German and means "dearest," "lovely," "cute," "beloved," and "welcome."  What a great word.  Since blogging is about creating community, this award is a fabulous way to spread the word about new blogs. 

To accept the nomination I must:
1. Link back to the blog that nominated me
2. Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers
3. Answer the questions posted for you by your nominator
4. Share 11 random facts about yourself
5. Create 11 questions for your nominees
6. Contact your nominees and let them know you nominated them

My Blog Nominations:






Amber's 11 Questions for Me:

1.  Why did you start blogging?

I started my blog for a variety of reasons.  My best friend Jessica from Joy in the Journey got me started reading teaching blogs.  I soon became addicted.  I loved getting fresh ideas and great freebies.  I began to contemplate sharing my own ideas and teaching adventures.  I have always enjoyed journaling about my experiences, so I decided to take the plunge and start a blog.  On a different note, I am an advocate for an organization called Compassion International.  Compassion is dedicated to releasing children from poverty in Jesus' name.  They have a variety of amazing ministries that are helping millions of children reach their potential.  I thought that a blog could be a good way to raise awareness and support to help children in need.

2.  If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?

I would LOVE to learn to dance.  I guess I could say to dance "better," since I did take a hip hop class this past year and did okay.  Still, I feel like I only scratched the surface of the dance world.  Realistically, I know that I will never be a fabulous dancer, since I didn't start when I was three, but I would love to get better at hip hop and to learn some new kinds of dance, especially swing or other partner dances.  I think it's incredible how people can move their bodies, but even more so, I love how dance can tell a story and evoke emotion in such a deep way.  

3.  What story does your family always tell about you?

Hmmmm....  This is a tough one.  I had to ask my mom to know what she would say.  She told me that one of her favorite stories about me is when I was little girl, my dad came home from San Francisco with a little cable car as a gift for me.  

One day after I got the car, when I was watching Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, I got really excited that Mr. Rogers had a cable car (trolley) too.  When the trolley made its appearance, I ran up to the screen with my car and declared, "See Mr. Rogers, I have a trolley too!"  After politely waiting for a response and not receiving one, I announced with great frustration, "He won't answer me!"

4.  What is your favorite song?

AAHAHAHGAHAGHAHAGHHGA!!!!  I always HATE this question because I have WAY TOO MANY favorites to list.  My favorites depend on the artist, the day, my mood etc.  Some are timeless favorites; some are temporary.  It's a complicated list.  If I have to choose one favorite that has been my favorite for many years, I would have to say, "Jesus Freak" by DC Talk.  The music video is pretty old school, but the lyrics and the music are hardcore.   I especially like the rap parts.  Go Toby!


5.  What is your favorite outdoor activity?

This is an interesting one.  I like a variety of outdoor activities, but I guess my favorite would be sitting by a campfire telling stories, singing songs, and toasting marshmallows.  There is just something about campfires that brings people together.  Plus, watching the flickering fire is always so mesmerizing.

Also, just so you know, burning your marshmallows is gross and wrong!  Golden brown and puffy is the way to go.  I have perfected my toasting technique over many years and it never disappoints.  Hehehe.

6.  You have a ten minute speech to give at a high school, what is it about?

I would probably speak about some issue related to children living in poverty and would try to motivate the kids to do something to make a difference in the world.

7.  Where do you like to vacation?

I love going lots of places.  Going to any other country is always so exciting and fun.  Camping in the woods and/or mountains is always nice, and of course the beach is awesome!  I can't really choose one place.  

8.  What is one goal you have made for yourself this year?

My goal is to really invest in making the Daily 5 all that it can be in my classroom.  I want to research Pin some new ideas and try them out this year.  I hope to start off early this year and to really develop what I started last year to make it better.

9.  Do you have a pet(s)?  If so, what type do you have?

At this time, I have no pets, but I wish I had a dog.  I miss my family dog Dusty a lot!  She's so cute!


10.  Are you married?  Do you have children?

Nope and Nope.  That was the easiest question to answer!

11.  What do you "know now" that you wish you "knew then"?

Just recently God has revealed to me that I never really understood or felt His love.  Instead of living freely in Him, I was trying so hard to be perfect and successful to please man and to earn my salvation.  Even though I logically knew salvation came through grace alone, I was living like I had to do everything on my own.  Now, that I have finally realized how much of a sinner I am and how I can only find my identity in Christ, I am feeling freer than I've ever felt in my life.  I wish I had truly felt God's love sooner.  However, I am still thankful for the tough times that brought me to this point because I know that God often uses struggles and hardships to draw us closer to Him.

*11 Facts About Me*

1. My birthplace is Jacksonville, Florida.
2. I have lived in 5 different states (Florida, Iowa, Ohio, Virginia, and New Jersey)
3. I have been to 42 of the 50 states and 7 (soon to be more) different foreign countries.
4. My two favorite bands/artists are TobyMac and Skillet.
5. I have seen 129 different bands and artists in concert.
6. I like to mosh.  Yes, I have gotten some serious bruises.  
7. My current favorite Bible passage is Isaiah 43.
8. I am deathly afraid of tornadoes.
9. I have worked at 7 different jobs (Chick Fil A, Macy's Huntington Learning Center, Seneca Hills Bible Camp, day camp in my current town, and of course my current school).
10. Millennium Force at Cedar Point is my favorite roller coaster.
11. My alter ego is Mort the baby lemur from Madagascar.
 

My 11 Questions for My Nominees:

1. What was your favorite year in school?
2. What do you miss most about being a kid?
3. What story does your family always tell about you?
4. Do you have a special talent?
5. Where's your favorite vacation spot?
6. Is there any grade you would NOT teach?  Why?
7. What is your favorite band/artist?
8. What's the number one played song on your iTunes?
9. What's your favorite book?
10. What's the best or worst date you've ever been on?
11. Who is your hero?  Why?

That was so much fun!  Thanks again to Amber for nominating me.  

So, before I say "bye" for today, I have to announce that this will be my last post before I got to India.  I leave on Tuesday at 6:00 a.m. and have one busy day of preparation left, so I won't have time to blog.  To everyone who has supported me and encouraged me as I prepared for this trip, I am so thankful.  I could not be more excited to embark on this adventure.  I am amazed that God has chosen me to serve and love His precious little children in India.  I can't wait to share everything with you all when I get back in two weeks. 

God Bless! 

8 comments:

  1. Enjoy your time in India! :)I am sure you will touch many lives.
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber beat me to it! I'd also like to nominate you for a Liebster award! I know you were just nominated, but I think your blog is awesome! Don't feel like you have to fill out the questions again, but I just wanted you to know I enjoy reading your posts! Thanks!

    Amanda @
    Teacher at the Wheel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky! Congrats on your award! I just found your blog, I'm your newest follower!
    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky!
    Best of luck in India! :) I just found your blog and love it. I LOVE Jesus Freak, too! :) I am your newest follower.
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have an amazing trip! I just came across your blog through the award we received! I am from Jacksonville, FL as well!

    -Jessie
    Lil Bit Country In the Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Becky,

    I found your post through a line of Liebster Awards! :) I noticed that you said that you are coming to India. Where will you be? I am currently teaching in New Delhi, and was intrigued to hear more about your trip :) Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky, I feel like I was blessed today in finding your blog. I really like your answer to question number 2 (learning to dance). I love dancing! I thought I would have to give it up after I went blind, but I still do swing, cha-cha, waltz, etc. If you'd like to take a look, come visit my blog and view the video at the top.

    Your latest follower,

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    Teaching with Sight

    ReplyDelete