Thursday, August 1, 2013

August Currently

August Has Arrived!!!

As always, it's hard to believe how fast the time flies.  To celebrate the new month, I am linking up with Farley for...


Listening- Sometimes my 8,000 iTunes songs just aren't enough.  When that happens, Pandora is the way to go!

Loving- I feel so free in so many ways.  I am free to finally relax and to hang out with friends.  I am free in Christ because I know He loves me.  

Thinking/Needing- As free as I am, I probably need to get working on some projects for next school year.  I know  I keep saying that in every post.  I hope that one day I will actually follow through and get some things done. 

Wanting- I miss all of the beautiful orphans I met in India so much.  I wish I could have spent more time getting to know them.  

B2S Must Haves: I love to plan my first day outfit.  I like to wear something colorful, fun, and decently dressy, so that I can feel confident and make a good first impression on the parents and students.  Also, I must be armed with my favorite back to school books including First Day Jitters, David Goes to School, The Kissing Hand etc.  Finally, I always like to have a packet of handouts and a PowerPoint presentation ready for Back to School Night with the parents.  That is the night where I establish expectations for the parents and hopefully forge good relationships with them that will last the year.

That's my currently.  I can't wait to read everyone else's!  Thanks again to Farley for hosting the fun.

Before my India trip update, I wanted to remind everyone that Tricks of the Trade is back.  This week's theme is Classroom Jobs.  Click the button to read my tips and to link up with your ideas.


Left My Heart in Hyderabad
Day 3
This morning, I woke up feeling decently rested and excited for the day.  I kept visualizing the children’s smiling faces and could not wait to go back to the Bethel Children’s Home to see them.  On the way to church, Becky and I planned out the Firy Furnace story.  Then, we all laughed as we sang aloud to “Jesus Freak” and “Breakfast.”  Emily made fun of us for liking “vintage” music.  Hahaha.
          When we arrived at church, the sound of drums and wailing voices reached my ears.  Though the service had not yet officially started, the worship had begun.  One of the first things I noticed was that the men and women were sitting on opposite sides of the church.  Also, many of the women had their heads covered with their scarves or parts of their saris.  I felt conspicuous as we all filed in and went to sit up front facing the congregation.  When I looked out and saw Praveem, Raju, Hepshiba, and the other children, I couldn’t help but grin.  Praveem even caught my eye and smiled back at me.  As the intense singing continued, I could not fully comprehend what was happening.  I felt a bit awkward trying to clap along with everyone.  However, after a few songs, I really began to worship.  It did not matter that I do not know Telegu.  We were all praising the same God.  Once I had that realization, I was filled with joy as we all worshipped and prayed together.  It’s amazing that God heard each voice and was glorified by everyone praising Him not only in that small cement room, but all over the world.
          When it was time to go to Sunday School (12:00 p.m.), I could not contain my excitement.  I was so happy I got to go.  I kind of felt badly leaving the others in the hot church.  To begin, our song team led the kids in singing “Allelu-Praise Ye the Lord,” while my story team partner, BJ,* and I cut the yarn for the character signs.  Next, we sang, “My God is so Big,” “Baby Shark,” “The Banana Song,” and “Joy, Joy, Joy.”  The two littlest kids Vyshnavi and Devakar were so cute as they danced and did the motions.
          For the story, BJ narrated the Fiery Furnance, while the rest of us acted it out.  We got the kids involved as the statue, officials, and furnace (sheet) holders.  After the story, BJ asked the kids if they would have been scared if that had happened to them.  They all calmly said, “no.”  then, she asked them what would have happened if God had not saved Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.  The kids answered that the men would have gone to Heaven.  Then, one boy pointed out that if they had died, King Nebuchadnezzar would not have come to worship the true God.  What a thoughtful answer.  I am embarrassed to admit that I would not have thought of that, much less said it. 
          After the story, the kids made their own fiery furnaces.  I sat with Divya, Hepshiba, Naveem, and others.  It was so much fun to help them cut, glue, shred tissue paper flames, and stick on the Joshua 1:9 verse (in Telegu).  Many times the kids were very patient, but today they did not want to wait their turns.  Funny how alike all kids are.
          Back in the service we worshipped and prayed a bit more and then were blessed by praying for individuals.  I prayed over Divya, Hepshiba, and Ashwitha.  I loved claiming God’s promises on their behalf.
          Lunch was lamb curry, white rice, and lemon rice with peanuts.  As usual, I had a hard time making it through the mounds of rice.  Throughout every meal, I am amazed by the generosity of the hosts.  They give and give and serve and help.  Though they have little, they freely share.  This is very convicting to me, since I have so much and give so little. 
          After lunch, we left the children and went to Fort Golkonda.  The streets outside were INSANE!!  We had to weave single file through the cars, rickshaws, and people…TONS OF PEOPLE!  Inside the fort, we were instant celebrities just because we are white.  We all cracked up as we saw tons of Indian men grab their phones, iPads, and cameras to use to take picture of us.  Some of the team members were overwhelmed and bothered by the crowds, but I was energized by it all.  I waved and smiled at many people.  Though it was crazy hot, I loved seeing the stone and brick ruins, hearing the echoes in special rooms, and seeing the view of Hyderabad.  I also enjoyed learning more about the history of the city.  Both the tour guide and Mary shared info about the fort and fended off the “photorazzi.”  
          For dinner we went to KFC (uncultured I know, but some of us were sick).  I had chicken shoz (crispy nuggets).  They had some spice to them and I got it in my eye by accident.  Ouch!  As we ate, Bethany and I wondered aloud about our role in missions.  Although it is encouraging to see the work of the nationals, it makes us wonder if they need us to help at all and if so, what should we do.  Our team leader told us that we need to wrestle with this and that though we are not totally needed we are wanted.  The children’s love tanks are filled by the fact that we come, play, and love.  All I can say is that I hope that’s true.  At devotions, it helped to hear how many of us our struggling with the whys of this trip and the hows of God’s calling.  I am learning that I can only take one step at a time.  One teammate put it well by saying that this trip is a bus stop on the way into God’s heart and that there are many more to come.

*Name abbreviated.

3 comments:

  1. I am exactly the same. I have lots of music to choose from, but I always end up back with Pandora. We stream it on the TV through our Roku. Love it!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a cute, new outfit on my must haves, too!

    Vanessa
    Kindergarten Schmindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Praise & Worship music soothes my soul!!! Seriously, I have an instrumental version of about 20 songs that I play in my classroom took keep me sane & the kids calm!! They love it & I'm not breaking any rules because there are no words!!! :) Man, I need to get on my first day back outfit!! Thanks for reminding me!!

    Kelli
    Surviving the Little People

    ReplyDelete