Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tried it Tuesday: Where Are You Board?

It's Tried it Tuesday!


After another busy day working in my classroom, I have an exciting creation to share with you.  To be honest, I have not yet "tried" it out with kiddos yet, but I tried making it, so I feel justified in sharing it with you.  Hehe.

It seems like "Where Are You?" boards are popping up all over the Pinterest and blogging worlds.  All of them are super cute and seem to be very handy in helping teachers keep track of where their kiddos are.  Here are some of my favorites that I've found.

~Joy in the Journey~: Monday Made-It: "Where Are You?" Board!
Where Are You Board Inspired by #CTP  - I used Dots on Black Border and Poppin' Patterns Letter Stickers.
Spectacular Second Grade

Being a non-crafty person, I was a bit intimidated by the cuteness and originally did not think I wanted to make one of these boards for my room.  However, after thinking about it for a bit, I mustered my confidence and created one.  Ta da!


It's simple, but bright and colorful.  More importantly, it should be quite practical in helping me keep track of my firsties and helping teach them responsibility.

Since my white board is magnetic and I don't have much wall space, I decided to just use the corner of the board near the door, rather than using a cookie tray.  I made the labels in PowerPoint and printed them on colored card stock.  

The adorable stars come from a classroom jobs pack from Sweet Times in First.  I printed them on card stock, laminated them, and then used a roll of sticky magnet tape to turn them into magnets.  Since, I am using the stars for my jobs sticks, I decided to continue the theme throughout my classroom.  Stay tuned to see where else I used them.  

So, that's my Tried it Tuesday.  Link up with 4th Grade Flipper to share what you have tried recently.

Now, for a short...
Left My Heart in Hyderabad

Day Seven: Sarampet Adventure
7-18-13
        God is an awesome God!  Though today’s scheduled activities have yet to begin, I have already been filled up by the Lord.  Last night, I read the letters from family and friends.  They were so touching.  Between reading them and listening to “All Because of Jesus” by Casting Crowns, I felt really convicted and encouraged that this trip is all about Jesus and His love.  It’s definitely not about me. 
          After waking up early, we all finished packing for the farm before going to breakfast.  The hotel clerks did not have the food ready, so we waited awhile.  E and Paul did card tricks and we all laughed at the Kenny G music playing in the background.  Once we ate, we hurried up and then waited.  Hehe.

Our bus came 3.5 hours late!

          Instead of feeling stressed, I was glad to have the chill time.  W, A, and I did today’s Live It journal entry and had a deep conversation about telling our stories at home to people who may not be open to hearing them.  Then, we spent a long time in prayer for our team, the children, Paul and Mary, Raju (bus driver), and people at home.
          Since it was BJ’s birthday, Emily had all of us secretly sign a card.  When the bus finally came, we sang “Happy Birthday” to her in Telegu when she got on.
          For most of the bus ride, M and I worked on finishing our Indian musical.  After driving for a bit, we stopped at KFC for lunch.  I got ice cream and a crispy potato sandwich.  Man was it spicy!  An orphan boy, Vamshi, rode with us to the farm.  He thought my name was “Blacky.”  Heheehe!  I am totally the whitest person on the team, so that was super funny.
          Oh, I almost forgot the craziest part of our whole trip so far!  When we were waiting for Paul and Mary outside their apartment, a truck tried to drive past the bus through the narrow space.  I thought it was a bad idea to begin with.  My fears were confirmed by the crunch of glass as the truck shattered the bus’s side mirror.
          Emily immediately told us all to stay low and act chill, but we all scooted up to watch as our driver and the truck driver had a hardcore fist fight and yelling match.  A crowd gathered in the alley and some people pulled our driver back by the collar.  Then, the truck driver drove off.
          It was really tense for a while, but all was okay in the end.
          We arrived at Sarampet farm around 3:15.  The bus actually didn’t make it all the way to the house because it got stuck in the mud.  Emily had us abandon our backpacks and walk through the rain to the house.  Once there, we spent the first hour or so sitting around while throngs of boys helped bring our stuff in from the little van that drove out to get it.  We also learned that the church van had come out and gotten stuck too!  Eventually both vehicles were free from the muck by a tractor.
          As crowds of kids poured into the house, it took me a while to figure out what to do.  I ended up singing, playing Rock Paper, Scissors, and other finger games with a variety of kids.  Then, one boy, Vijay, took a special liking to me and started teaching me MILLIONS of Telegu words.  Some of the other boys including, Abushai, helped me write them down.  Pastor Pratesh helped too.  It was so much fun!  Even though Vijay had trouble with English, he loved teaching me his language.

Me with orphans at Sarampet.  Vijay is next to me.
          Before dinner, we had a mini-birthday celebration for BJ.  We sang and then she fought to blow out trick candles on a birthday cake.  It was funny.  The celebration turned sad to me because while all of us Americans got our own plates with big pieces of cake, the orphans only got one bite each off a shared plate.  Even though he got very little, Vijay was still smiling and urged me to eat my piece.  However, because the cake was anis-flavored and I felt weird eating it in front of the kids, I gave it away.  I wanted to share it with the kids, but I didn’t want to seem ungrateful.  Later at debriefing we talked about how it was more special for the kids to get one bite than none at all.  My mind is still processing this whole situation.
          Right now, I am laying on patterned sheets under a bright pink mosquito net.  Just after I came in here to go to bed, Emily came in and told us some awful news.  One of the boys, Santeesh, was bitten by a scorpion as he was walking home!  The sick irony is that he had been making his fingers into a scorpion shape tonight as we played.  My team and I all just prayed for him for a long time.  It was super powerful.  All of us declared that God is the Healer and that He can work even this for His glory.  We prayed for wisdom for all those helping Santeesh, for a smooth way to the hospital, and for healing.  We trust that God can provide all this and more. 
Santeesh is in the green.
          W and Emily were wise to pray against the dark forces that seem to be attacking us today.  As they prayed, I had a vision of God’s light radiating from this house and the other children’s homes here.  The blackness was being repelled and the Light was winning!  Take that Satan!
          “Our God is greater, our God is stronger, God you are higher than any other.  Our God is Healer, awesome in power, our God!” -Chris Tomlin

2 comments:

  1. Great idea to use your whiteboard space. I have a small empty whiteboard in my room that I never know what to do with. You might have just given me the solution. Thank you!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a great job on your board! Who says you aren't crafty? I loved listening to that song you posted a link to. Thank you!! I needed that tonight:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete