Monday, September 2, 2013

September Currently

September has come.  Though technically summer continues for a few more weeks, I feel like it is over for me now.

I spent all last week setting up my classroom (pictures coming soon!) and this week we start our pre-school professional development.  Right now I feel a mix of excitement and nerves for the new year and sadness that summer has come to an end.

Still, one thing that always makes me happy at the start of a new month is participating in Farley's Currently!



Listening
Sometimes it's just too much noise to put on the TV or music right away.  I am learning to like silence more.

Loving
I am loving a lot right now.  God has blessed me in so many ways in addition to saving me from my sin and death!

Right now, I feel like I am at a time in my life when I have some of the best friends I will ever have.  Whether old friends that I keep in touch with long distance or relatively new friends that I hang out with all the time, I am so thankful for the amazing people God has put in my life.  We have so much fun together, but also speak truth and challenge each other even when it's hard.

This Saturday, I had a great last hurrah for the summer with a group of friends.  We went down to the Jersey Shore for the day.  It was my first time.  Gasp!  All day, we all had a blast in the waves, on the sand, and at the boardwalk.
Photo: Beach babes 󾀸❤

Then, we hit up a Tenth Avenue North concert where we ended up standing right in front of the stage.  We were so close that my friend saved the guitar player by holding a mic stand that was about to fall on him.  Also, the lead singer, held my hand during the song, "You Are More."  It was epic.

Anyways, enough about that.  I am also loving that I am getting better at running!  Couch to 5k is working!!  I am still running intervals, but I'm up to 3 miles in 33 min. and have set a new fastest mile twice!  I am thinking about signing up for a 5k for this fall.  Anyone know of any fun ones?

Thinking
Whenever I have a chill day like this, I am always trying to squeeze every last drop out of it.  There is always so much to do.  Today, however, I want to be more relaxed about my to-do list.  Yes, there are things I have to do, but others can wait.  I want to hold more loosely to my plans to give room for God to show me what He would have me do.

Wanting
The October camp for orphans in Hyderabad is coming up soon.  However, only $970 out of the $7000 needed has been raised.  I know that God can do miracles, so I am trusting that He will provide if this camp is His will.  However, I also know that He often uses people to do those miracles.  I know that even if this camp is not His will, that is okay.  However, I would love for the beautiful children I met and loved on in India to have this opportunity to learn, grow, and socialize.  It would be so amazing for them to get out of the city even for just a few days.

Will you give the $35 it takes to send 1 orphan child to camp?

Donate Now
For more details, click on the picture or e-mail me: hoffman.rebecca@att.net.

Also, rest assured that if that camp does not happen due to funding issues, your money will be used to meet other needs for the orphans.

Needing
After a tough year last year, I am honestly really nervous about this upcoming school year.  The perfectionist in me has labeled last year as a failure and wants to make this year perfect to make up for that.  As much as I realize none of that is true or possible, it's hard to let go of that feeling.  I really need and want to surrender this year to the Lord.  He already knows everything that has happened, is happening, and will happen.  This year is no surprise to Him.  He has already won the ultimate victory, so I can trust Him to be the victor over my school year.  I don't have to be perfect.  I can't be perfect.  I need to let go and trust that God is with me.  I want to live each day looking for who He wants me to love and how He wants me to love them.  I want to give Him the glory, rather than hogging it for myself.

That is why I have chosen two "theme songs" for the year.  Singing and listening to songs always helps things sink in for me, so I plan to listen to these two and many other encouraging songs a lot.

"Steal My Show" by Tobymac


"Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)" by United

Love Spot
I've already kind of expressed that I need to take time to be still and silent to listen to God and to find peace in the midst of busyness.  That will help me keep perspective no matter what happens this year.  I also want to learn to accept help better.  I have always been one to ask for help, but then I do not accept it graciously.  The people-pleaser in me worries that I am inconveniencing the helper and the perfectionist in me wishes I didn't need help.  Both of those feelings are wrong and ungrateful.  I only recently realized how big a problem this was when my friend volunteered to help me in my classroom and I freaked out about it.  Afterwards, I felt really ugly and wished that I had just been appreciative.  Moving forward, I want to work on letting go of control and graciously accepting help because there is no way I can do everything on my own.

Wow, that Currently turned out super long.  It was a nice time of reflection for me at least.  Hope you enjoyed it.  As I said, my big classroom reveal will be posted sometime this week.  Also, I plan to post more orphan stories soon.  Stay tuned!

Happy Labor Day!

3 comments:

  1. Wow - looks like you had a fabulous time with your friends! Good luck at school this week! I'm sure this year will be better than last :)

    Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool to get to be front row!! Looks like you had a ton of fun with your great friends! Stay positive and I am sure this will be a better year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a tough year last year, and this year's class is fabulous! I am hoping the same is true for you!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete