Friday, November 1, 2013

5 For Friday Halloween and Hunger

To all my fellow teachers... congratulations.  We SURVIVED Halloween!!!  Wahoo!

Actually, as exhausting as yesterday's festivities were, I was glad to finally experience Halloween at my school.  We have not had it for the past two years due to a freak blizzard that knocked out power and Hurricane Sandy, which pretty much destroyed a lot of the state.

I woke up yesterday expecting a sudden storm to pop up and cancel school for the day.  Fortunately, that did not happen and we ended up having a great Halloween celebration.

Here are the highlights for Doodle Bugs linky.

fiveforfriday2_thumb3

Snacks


Crafts
We made masks and spider webs.
Creepy masks!  Impressive drawing skills.
Activities
Boo Bump! Math Game Freebie!
Free from First Grade Brain
Free from You Might Be a First Grader
Costume Parade


Fundraiser
Trick or Treat for UNICEF

All of the students at our school were given the opportunity to collect money for UNICEF.  I don't know the total yet, but I'm proud of how many students brought in boxes filled with change.  Even more importantly, when I introduced the fundraiser, I was pleased to hear how much my students cared about children living in poverty.  They all asked thoughtful questions and contributed to the discussion in a meaningful way.  I was very proud of them..

Speaking of children in need...One Meal, One Day is coming up next week!  Hurray!

What in the world is One Meal, One Day?  


One Meal One Day is an annual event that unites thousands of people to skip a meal, experience hunger and give funds so that children in poverty can receive the help they desperately need.  This year, the official date is next Wednesday, November 6.

Last year, I organized a fundraiser for this event and was amazed at the outcome.  God totally provided and blew my $500 goal out of the water.  You can read about that here.

Unfortunately, this year, I am late to jump on the wagon to raise awareness and funds.  I just haven't had time to do much.  However, that does not mean that I don't think God can show up again.  In fact, I trust that He is going to once again do great things through this campaign.

Personally, I plan to try to fast the entire day, or at least until sundown.  Skipping one meal didn't feel too badly to me last year, so I want to challenge myself to really understand hunger in a new way.

If you would like to learn more about One Meal, One Day, click the picture above or the previous link.

To donate now, click the picture below.  My goal this year is $200! 

Donate Now
Thanks so much for donating!   Every little bit helps us help hungry children.

Please also spread the word about One Meal, One Day to your friends, family, coworkers, blogging buddies etc.!!

2 comments:

  1. Amazed at all these schools that allow kids to dress up! How fun!!! Looks like you guys had a blast!
    Tamra and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Children are so empathetic. Glad they want to help others. Those are the fanciest Halloween treats I've ever seen. What fun! Thankful to learn about One Meal, One Day.

    ReplyDelete