Friday, November 15, 2013

Six for Friday!

It's Friday and I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs on time!  Hurray!

Unfortunately, I don't have tons of photos to show for myself this week, but I'm making up for that by sharing 6 things instead of 5.

fiveforfriday2_thumb3_thumb3


Parent Teacher Conferences

This Thursday and Friday were my first two days of conferences.  Half days with the kiddos are always crazy, yet oddly productive.  How is it that I always get everything done within 4 hours when I always feel so rushed and run out of time on full days?

Anyways, conferences are going well.  It's always good to meet to discuss students' progress.  I am thankful to have very supportive parents this year.

Beanie Baby Reading Strategies

Adorable posters from Ashley Reed.
My kiddos have now learned all of the popular Beanie Baby reading strategies.  They are in LOVE with the cute characters and are really starting to own the strategies.  It's great to hear them thinking and talking about how they are figuring out words.  Today, I went crazy with excitement when I heard them asking their reading buddies if they wanted coaching or time.  That is one of my favorite Daily 5 techniques.  It is so beneficial for students to learn to not just tell words to their buddies, but to coach them to figure it out.  I give each one of my kids, one of these adorable Beanie Baby strategy bookmarks from Lisa at Growing Firsties to help them know how to coach each other.

Free from Growing Firsties

Fact Families
We wrapped up our subtraction unit with some fact family work.  I found some great free resources from the Utah Education Network.  The unifix cube one was great for my lower math students.  I had them work with cubes to show combinations for ten and then they wrote the fact families.  
Dice fact families worked well for my middle and higher level learners.  It's easy to differentiate if you give students different types of dice, e.g. 6-sided, 8-sided etc.


Scholastic Book Fair

IT WAS BOOK FAIR WEEK!!!  WAHOOO!!!   

I LOVE THE BOOK FAIR!!

Seriously, the Book Fair is pretty much the best thing ever.  I love seeing all the new books and the old favorites.  It's always tough to figure out which ones to put on my wishlist because I want them all.  This year, I tried to choose a variety, rather than just stocking up on one author or type.  So far, my students have already bought me the following books:




They have also astounded me with their extremely generous gift certificates.  I plan to use them to tomorrow to pick up the rest of my wish list and maybe some extras.  It's going to be so much fun!

Nike Running and C210k
For those of you who don't know, a few months ago, I decided to give running a shot.  I had always loathed running.  However, when my sister took it up and then completed a half marathon, I began to consider the idea of running more.  Then, she recommended an awesome program called C25k and I was off and running.  Literally.  You can read more about how I got started running HERE.

Well, it's been several months and I must say that this program WORKS.  I have now graduated from C25k to C210k and am able to run like never before.  This week, my intervals were 15 minute runs separated by 1 minute walking intervals.  I had failed this interval one day when I was worn out, but yesterday I was determined to complete the workout and I'm happy to say that I did!!!  I ran for 45 minutes total with only 1 minute walks in between.  My total distance with the warm up and cool down was 6.16 miles and my average mile was 9:34.  I really do not want to sound like I am bragging, I am just super duper pumped!!!


I am even more excited about the fact that this Thanksgiving my mom, dad, sister, brother-in-law, brother, and I will all be running the Columbus 5-mile Turkey Trot!  I feel like it's going to be a great family event that could become a tradition.  Plus, I will earn an extra helping of sweet potatoes and a nice slice of pumpkin pie!

Typhoon Relief


Last, but certainly not least, I wanted to share that my thoughts and prayers are with the victims of Typhoon Haiyan.  The pictures of the devastation in the Philippines are shocking and horrifying.  It is surreal for me to realize how many lives have been lost and how many other people are without food, water, shelter, clothing etc.  It's going to be a long road to recovery for the Philippines, but fortunately we can help.

Click the picture below to learn more about Compassion's relief efforts and how you can get involved.

Help Children Affected by Philippines Typhoon 

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I just got "Dragons Love Tacos" - what a fun book! Hope you and your kids enjoy it too!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey nice post mehn. I love your style of blogging here. The way you writes reminds me of an equally interesting post that I read some time ago on Daniel Uyi's blog: Things You Must Know When Starting Up Your New Business .
    keep up the good work.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete