Friday, December 6, 2013

5 for Friday 12-6-13 and TWO Freebies

T.G.I.F.

Have you ever had one of those days where you feel like your students are not your students, but rather bonkers minnions from outer space?

That was how my day went.  Enough said.

Still, it was a good week both in school and outside of school, so I'm linking up with Doodlebugs to share.  Plus, stay tuned for a freebie.  I haven't had one of those in awhile, but it's your lucky day cause I finally had time to make something.


Winter's Eve
On Monday, I went into the city to volunteer for K-Love.  We passed out free candy canes and promotional information to all the people waiting in line for the various food stalls and other random people walking down the street.  Everyone was so full of Christmas cheer, so it was a super fun experience!

Pencil Sharpener

A few weeks ago, I won a new pencil sharpener from Classroom Friendly Supplies!  I tried it out this week and of course, it worked great!  However, I decided that since I already had one, I could part with it, so I gave it to a colleague of mine.  She was very excited since she's seen how awesome my CFS sharpener is.


Shapes

We wrapped up our shapes unit this week.  One of the fun and challenging activities we did was a shape picture hunt.  I photocopied pictures from this book and then had the kids tally how many of each plane shape they saw in the picture.  


If you'd like the freebie, click the picture below.


Latkes Presentation



A mom came in to show the kids how to make latkes and then we all enjoyed some freshy, crispy ones.  It was a real treat!

Word Work

The highlight of this week for both me and the kids was that I finally had time to kick off Word Work!  For the first few months of school, the kids have been doing basic phonics activities during the Daily 5, rather than full fledged Word Work because I just didn't have time to introduce it, build stamina, and add it to the routine.  However, this week, I did get the chance to get the routine running.  

If you would like to read more about my Word Work materials and procedures, check out this post.  

For now, I'll just share the biggest change of this year.  Instead of having the students just choose any words from the word wall, I am stealing a fabulous idea from my colleague and using...

Word Work Bookmarks!!!

Each week my students will get a new bookmark with trick words and phonics rules to practice.  They will keep it inside their Word Work notebooks.

Click the picture for the freebie.  I made a PDF version and an editable version.  I hope to keep posting more bookmarks as the year continues.

PDF Version
Editable Version


Hope you enjoy the freebies!  Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment