Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Christmas Questionnaire

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

I love the fluffy white blanket of snow that is covering the ground right now.  I love holiday parties and Secret Santa exchanges.  I love Christmas cookies and Christmas music.  Most importantly though, I love my Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave up the glory of Heaven to come to earth to live a humble life and die a humiliating death so that He could save us.  It is Him that I owe my life to and Him that I want to honor this holiday season.

To celebrate the season, I am linking up with Fabulous in First for her...



Hot Chocolate or Eggnog? 
Hot chocolate all the way, especially peppermint hot chocolate.  Egg nog looks and smells disgusting, so I am inferring that it also tastes disgusting.  How could I trade cocoa for that?  Now, if only I didn't burn my tongue every time I drank it! 

Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them underneath the tree? 
He definitely wraps them.  Growing up I always had a stocking full of wrapped gifts from Santa.  When I was really little there were even a few "Santa" gifts under the tree.
=
Colored lights or white? 
Color all the way!  The new LED lights are so vivid.  I love them.

When do you decorate? 
I don't have much space to decorate, but my little fiber optic tree usually goes up after Thanksgiving.  

Real or Fake Tree? 
At this phase of my life, I am making do with a little, fake, fiber optic tree from Target, but growing up it was real every year.  It was a family tradition to go out to a local tree farm to pick out the perfect evergreen.  There was always much discussion over fullness of branches, shape, needle color etc.  When we finally got the beauty home we would decorate it with all our mismatch ornaments.  No uniformity in my family.  We love the "eclectic" look.   

What Tops Your Tree?
Either a light up star (parent's tree) or a star ornament (my mini tree).

Photo: tis the holiday season, and Christmas is so good for the soul.   Traditions.

Favorite Christmas Memories or Traditions?
There are so many to choose from.  I love baking and making tons of delicious treats.  Decorating molasses gingerbread cookies has been a tradition in my family for several generations.  

Christmas Eve is always a highlight too.  My family eats out at Panera before going to the service at church.  Then, we all come back home and enjoy homemade hot cocoa and cookies by the fireplace.  Then, before bed, we all bring down our gifts and put them under the tree.  The exception is my parents who still wait until after us "kids" have gone to bed to bring their gifts down.

Christmas morning we always wake up, open our stockings, have a hearty breakfast, and then open our gifts leisurely.  One at a time is our policy.  That way everyone can see each gift and enjoy the reactions together.

Do you remember your favorite gift as a child? 
The one that stands out is getting my Little Tikes kitchen.  I spent hours of my childhood cooking plastic food in that kitchen.  Perhaps that's why I wanted to become a gourmet chef for so many years.


Do prefer giving or receiving? 
It's only in recent years that I have begun to enjoy giving more as I realize how little I actually need and how much I already have.  However, I still have a hard time giving because I don't think I am good at picking out personal gifts.  I end up defaulting to lotion etc.  In the past few years, I have begun to realize that I don't have to give the perfect gift for it to be from my heart.  Also, I have begun giving gifts that not only bless the recipient, but also help people in need (e.g. fair trade items, E & Co. necklaces, Compassion Gift Catalog etc.) To me that kind of giving is hugely rewarding.

What is your favorite Christmas song? 
"Oh Holy Night."  When it's done right (not too screechy) it is incredibly powerful.

Candy Canes. Yuck or Yum? 
Yum.  The only downside is when you chew them and pieces get stuck in your teeth.


Favorite Christmas Movie? 
Elf.  One time my friend, Allie, and I were so inspired by Buddy that we made a batch of spaghetti and topped it with maple syrup and M&Ms.  It was actually quite tasty!


Do you shop online or at stores?
Both, but I prefer online unless I know exactly what I want to buy.  I am not a patient browser.  It actually stresses me out to have to search shelves and racks for an extended period of time.

Photo Cards, Letter or Store Bought Card? 
I don't really care that much either way as long as it's heartfelt and personal.  I guess photo cards or letters are preferred over store cards.

That was fun!  Thanks to Fabulous in First for hosting this fun Christmasy linky!

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. I loved going with my family to pick out and cut down our tree every year too! Those are memories I will never forget. Glad to see I have another friend that loves peppermint hot chocolate! YUM! Happy holidays.
    -Jaime
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete