Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Day in the Life and My Blog Makeover!!

Remember I told you yesterday that a change was coming?

Do you notice anything different?

Anything at all...

Haha.  Just kidding.  Of course you do (unless you're a first time reader).

This BEAUTIFUL new blog design is courtesy of Megan over at A Bird in the Hand Blog Designs.

A Bird in Hand Designs

She has a super affordable Build Your Own Blog option that allowed me to choose my favorite colors, patterns, fonts etc. without breaking the budget.  The process took only a few days.  It actually took me longer to decide what I wanted than for her to design and install.

Megan was so sweet throughout the process and I absolutely love the result.  Bright, bold, and colorful is so my personality.  I cannot thank Megan enough and I highly recommend working with her if you need a re-design.

Now, rather than lesson planning, I am procrastinating by joining Amelia's A Day Our Way linky.  Here's my daily schedule.





Daily Oral Language- I use Evan Moor's First Grade Daily Oral Language pages.  They are short and sweet, yet cover a lot of different skills.


Morning Meeting/Share: This time includes the reading of the morning message, calendar routines, and share time.  Each student is assigned a day to share.  On that day, they may tell a story and/or bring in an item to share with the class. 

Math: My district uses Math in Focus, which is a Singapore Math curriculum.  I differentiate using three math groups.  After the mini lesson, students do Math with Self, Math with Someone, and Math with Teacher.  I promise to post more about those later.

Reading: I do a combination of a workshop model and the Daily 5.  On new learning days, I do workshop, but on guided reading group days, the students rotate through the Daily 5 centers.

Fundations: During Fundations, students learn and practice sounds, words, and sentences on their dry erase boards. 

Writing: My favorite time of the day!  When my students listen that is.  It's near the end of the day, so sometimes I'm losing them by this point.  Still, writing workshop is a highlight for me and for quite a few of my kids.

Social Studies/Science: By this time, my kids have been minds-on in the classroom for almost 3 hours, so it's time for some rousing discussion and exciting experiments.

So, that's my day.  What's your schedule?  Link up with Amelia to share.

One more thing.  Last, but certainly not least, there is an exciting opportunity coming up for all Compassion Sponsors.  On January 27, Compassion is offering a free webinar to share ways to cultivate a relationship with your Compassion children through letter writing.  As a sponsor, I know that it is often difficult to think of what to write to my kids, so I am really looking forward to this session.  

If you are interested in "attending" the webinar, click below to register.  Spaces are limited.


That's all for now.  Hope you like the new look.


4 comments:

  1. Ooh la la! LOVE your new design! I may have to check out a new design for my own blog. Gorgeous choices.
    Colleen :-)
    Fun and Fearless in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky! Your new blog design looks AWESOMEEEEEEE!
    Seriously, bud, Megan did a phenomenal job! Congrats :)
    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your new design! Megan is amazing :) She did my blog, too! I loved taking a peek at your day! You get so much accomplished! I love that you make Science and SS hands on and fun! I am so happy to be your newest follower :) Thanks for linking up!

    Amelia
    wherethewildthingslearn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog Becky! It is so super cute! Miss you tons!

    Rosie
    Rosie's Rambles

    ReplyDelete