Wednesday, January 1, 2014

January 2014 Currently

Happy 2014!


Listening

Audrey Assad's music is creative and relaxing and her lyrics are so well thought out.  Her songs gently remind me of the promises I need to hold on to.


Loving

2014!  An even numbered year (I hate odd numbers) full of so much potential!

Thinking

After convincing myself that I am in shape enough to handle a Body Boot Camp class, I find that my leg strength is not what I thought it was.  My quads are KILLING me.  I have rarely been this sore.  After trying the typical ice and heat approaches, I did a little research and discovered that some people use rolling pins to massage their sore muscles.  Given the fact that I was desperate, I decided to give the method a try.  At first it hurt like crazy, but then the knots gradually began to spread out and now my thighs finally feel better.  If/when you get sore during your New Year's resolution workouts, you should seriously try the rolling pin method!

Wanting

The story behind why I tried the Boot Camp class in the first place is that I decided it was time to bite the bullet and pay for a gym membership.  Now, I know that joining a gym on January 1st is about as cliche as it gets, but I had been considering this option for awhile.  I like working out and staying in shape, but my options have been limited since I live in a third floor studio apartment.  As much as I'd like to do videos workouts, I don't think my downstairs neighbors would appreciate that and though they've served me well, my 12 pound weights are just no longer enough.  Plus, my short running career was cut even shorter when I hurt my knee and the weather turned cold.

The Boot Camp workout in itself was proof that though I am in decent shape, I could and should push myself so much harder.  I look forward to attending that class regularly and trying out some others like Zumba, spinning, and Yoga in addition to intensifying my own free weight and cardio workouts.   As you can probably tell, I am excited to try everything!

Needing

Tomorrow's the first day back after break.  I still haven't fully processed that.  Though it will be good to see my kiddos and my colleagues, it's going to take awhile to get back into the routine of school.

Memory/Tradition

Every Christmas Eve my family and my grandparents attend Christmas Eve service at church.  This year we went to two services, one at my parent's church and one at my grandparent's.  Afterwards we always get together to enjoy tasty Christmas cookies and to reminisce about Christmas past. 

Well, that's my Currently.  To everyone who goes back tomorrow, have a great first day back!  To you lucky ducks who don't go back til Monday, enjoy the rest of your break! 

6 comments:

  1. I found your blog on the Currently linky. I have a gym membership that I NEVER use because I'm scared of all those classes (except Zumba). I do want to get back into it this year. You've inspired me to try it out again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're welcome. I may be a bit overly ambitious, but I want to keep my exercise regime fresh and exciting, so I don't plateau and lose motivation! Good luck with your resolution! I'm sure you will do great in other classes.

      Also, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I also found your blog through the currently linky. Looks like you are getting in shape! Good for you! Love your blog!

    Sarah from Third Grade Skinny and Magnificent Mama and Teacher on a Budget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I'm heading over to check out your blog now.

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. I'm a lucky duck that doesn't go back until Monday! Good luck with the gym membership. My hubby and I were just talking today about possibly joining the gym. We're usually pretty good about video workouts in the basement, but lately not so much. Good luck as you head back to school tomorrow!

    Lisa
    Always an Adventure in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always end up crying when I listen to Audrey Assad! She is so moving.
    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete