Saturday, January 25, 2014

Saturday Sweets and Sparking Motivation with Inferences


Happy Saturday!

How cold is it where you are?  

It's a balmy 25 degrees here in New Jersey.  :-)  Warmer than the single digits we've had, but definitely no heat wave.

To be honest, I don't really mind the cold and snow.  I actually appreciate that winter is acting like winter.  Snow is so beautiful and fun.  Don't get me wrong though, I do not wish for eternal winter like in Narnia.  I will be tired of winter by next month and will celebrate the coming of spring just as much as everyone else.

Anyways, since I didn't quite have 5 things to share for my Friday, I decided to share about one topic for two Saturday linkys: Saturday Sweets with Mary and Sparking Student Motivation with Joanne.

http://aclassroomfullofsmiles.blogspot.com/




The best part of this week for both my students and me was working on inferring.  There are so many great resources out there to teach and practice making inferences, so I thought I would share some of the great ones I used.

First of all, I explained inferring using this cute, free poster from Corinna at O "FISH" ally a First Grader.


To make the concept of putting together schema and text clues more concrete, I teach my students a hand motion.  In one hand, they pretend to hold everything they know about the topic/story.  In the other, they hold the clues from the book.  When they put their hands together they make an inference. 

After introducing the concept, the real fun began using this AWESOME pack from Babbling Abby.


This pack is exactly what it's name states.  It is a hands-on investigation where students make inferences about what a boy named Tim did on a snow day.  The pack included posters for practicing inferring, instructions for how to put together Case Files of evidence, graphic organizers to record inferences, follow up activities etc.  

My kids had a blast looking through the Case Files to figure out what Tim did all day.  They were so eager to share their inferences and were amazed when different pieces of evidence fit together.  For example, on group found a box of blueberries and the other found a recipe for blueberry muffins.  Lightbulb!

I wish you could see the pictures of my kids digging through their case files, but my iPad had to stay at school to get updated and the pictures stayed with it.  

Still, here are some of the results of our inferring.

This activity was so motivating for my students because it was hands-on and connected to real-life.  I always find that my students are the most engaged when they are actively involved and know that what they are learning is truly useful and relevant.

Before I go, I must tell you that the Compassion Bloggers are celebrating their five year anniversary!  To commemorate this occasion, several bloggers are heading to Uganda for 5 days.  These bloggers will spend time visiting and building relationships with children at two different Compassion centers.  They will get to see first hand how Compassion is releasing children from poverty.  From Uganda they will be writing to share their experiences.  

If you are interested in following the Compassion Bloggers in Uganda, check out the link below.  

Follow the Compassion Bloggers in Uganda

Also, they have set a lofty goal of getting 400 children sponsored during their trip.  That's definitely a God-size goal.  

Can you help meet that goal?  Can you help 400 children find hope by breaking the chains of poverty that ensnare them?

Sponsorship is only $38 per month and it provides for a child's physical, emotional, mental, social, educational, and spiritual needs. 

To sponsor a child today, click the link below and/or e-mail me at hoffman.rebecca@att.net.  I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Follow the Compassion Bloggers in Uganda

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up. Great blog post! compassion bloggers sounds life a wonderful charity. I hope it gets fully funded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more about students appreciating real life and relevant information-so much easier to make connections! The Compassion Bloggers sounds like an amazing charity-how inspiring! Thanks for linking up!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete