Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Tried it Tuesday: Game Shows and Quinoa

Do those things go together?  Maybe if you're watching GSN (Game Show Network) while eating dinner, but don't worry, that is not the topic of this post.  It's a day late, but I'm still taking the time to link up with Holly for Tried it Tuesday with one school-related idea and several recipes.


To start off, I'll share the school-related idea.  Let's be honest.  Teaching phonics and grammar can be quite dull.  Yes, word work has done wonders to make practicing words more engaging and even enjoyable.  But what about the direct instruction times? 

To spice things up in my room, I like to start or end with a game.  Here are two that my firsties have by loving.  I know they aren't my original creations, but perhaps they will inspire someone.

Grammar Game Show
Ashley® Desk Call Bell
This game is pretty straightforward.  I use typical office-style bell.  The kids come up two at a time to face off.  They start with their hands behind their backs and wait for me to ask a question.  I ask a variety of questions about sentences, parts of speech etc.  Once I finish saying the question, the first kid to hit the bell gets to answer.  If they are correct, they win the satisfaction of answering correctly.  If they are incorrect, the other student gets a chance to steal.  As long as I keep things upbeat using my crazy game show voice, the kiddos are able to stay positive even if they don't "win."  Plus, I always ask for plenty of audience participation.  

Since this game is such a hit, I plan to use it in other subject areas too.

Sight Word I Spy

For this game, the kids use their white boards and the word wall to respond to my prompts.  I will say things like "I'm looking for sight words with digraphs," "Linking verbs," or "Long sight words with short ones inside."  Examples for the last one could be the-they, any-many etc.  Super engaging and challenging.

Now, on to the recipes.  My food discovery of the new year is...QUINOA!!  Until recently, I had heard a lot about this super food, but hadn't dared cook with it.  I thought it was too "fancy" to bother with.  Well, after a trip to Trader Joe's, I decided to give it a shot.  The result: some of the tastiest recipes I've had in a long time.  They do take a bit of work, but nothing too complicated.  All of them have great flavor and happen to be vegetarian or vegan.  Here are the pins, so you can enjoy too.

Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili From Lyss in the Kitchen
I was skeptical about this flavor combination, but it was so good.  Definitely not a spicy chili, but very flavorful and full of different textures.

Black Bean-Quinoa Burgers from Vegetarian Times
Black Bean Quinoa Burgers from Vegetarian Times

From Amanda's Apron

So, that's what I've been eating lately.  Anyone got any great quinoa recipes to share?

Also, before I go, be forewarned.  I change is coming to this blog.  A very good change.   Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Jon loves quinoa! He adds it to all of his soups to make them more hefty and protein-filled :)
    The chili looks awesome - I'll have to try that this weekend.

    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I was just thinking the same thing about my grammar lessons. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete