Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Daily 5 on the 5th with a Freebie

Well, it's another snow day and I've been cooped up at home trying to find ways to occupy the hours.

Seriously, who knew there was so much time in the day?

Flourless Nutella Cheesecake Swirl Brownies | cupcakesandkalechips.com | #chocolate #dessert #glutenfree
Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Today I ventured out over icy roads to the gym, baked Flourless Nutella Cheesecake Swirl Brownies, cut out lamination, cleaned my apartment, listened to some podcasts, and watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, and it's only 8 o'clock!  I still have time to watch Thor, the other movie I yanked out of the RedBox yesterday.  Geez.  Wish I felt like I had this much time in the day when I was teaching.  Or maybe I don't.  :-)

Anyways, now it's time to add blogging to the list of today's activities.  Hurray for having time on a day other than Friday!

Tonight I'm linking up with Mrs. Foxwell for Daily 5 on the 5th!


Daily 5 continues to be a favorite part of the day for both my kiddos and me.  This past week, I have been rejoicing in the fact that my students' stamina allows them to work independently for 45 minutes or more while I am DRAing!  Amazing!  It is so valuable to follow the gradual release model prescribed in the Daily 5 books.  Though it takes awhile to get things up and running, the results are totally worth it.

Here's a few tips that make my Daily 5 routines so engaging.

Dessert Books

For Read to Self, my kiddos each have their own gallon-size Ziploc bag of books to read from.  Each reading group has a scheduled book shopping day on which they exchanged their books for fresh ones.  My rule is that they must choose 4-5 "just right" books from the leveled library, so that they can practice on their instructional reading level.  Once they have met this quota, they may choose one "Dessert Book" to add to their bags.  The "Dessert Book" can come from anywhere bin in the rest of the library, which includes bins for specific authors, Caldecott books, genre books, more nonfiction etc.  The Mo Willems books are especially popular.

Leveled library for "just right" books.
One section of the "Dessert Book" area.
The benefits of letting students choose a "Dessert Book" include that they can enjoy books not on their level, be exposed to a wide variety of high-quality books, and most of all read for FUN!

My one rule though is that during Read to Self, "dinner" (leveled books) comes before dessert.

Word Work Pens

 Anyone remember Gelly Roll pens?


They were such a craze when I was in elementary/middle school.  I must have had a pack of almost every different kind: "Metallic," "Stardust etc.

Sadly, after a few years, these pens faded into oblivion.  Kind of like Beanie Babies.

Fortunately, some resourceful teacher out there resurrected Beanie Babies and now many of us use them to teach reading!  

Not sure what I'm talking about?  Check out this post.

Anyhoo, when I was at home over Christmas break, I came across my old Gelly Roll pens and decided that they too could be re-purposed for classroom use.  

As a result, they are now the highlight of Word Work.  Seriously, my students rush to get to the supply area, so they can choose their pens.  I have actually had to break up a few fights over specific colors.  Might have to take those out.  Still, it's so exciting for me to see my kiddos motivated to practice their sight words and phonics rules.  Okay, so they may not be motivated to practice them, but they are motivated to use the pens, which means that they are practicing them and that's what matters.  :-)

Word Work Bookmarks

What words are my kids practicing with their Gelly Rolls?  The words on their bookmarks of course!

Awhile back I posted about how I am using bookmarks for Word Work this year.  You can read more and get a freebie here.

Tonight, you can pick up the most recent bookmarks I've made for free by clicking the pictures below.
Editable

How's your Daily 5 going?  Link up with Mrs. Foxwell to share.



1 comment:

  1. Becky- I LOVE the idea of Dessert books and may be stealing that idea! ;) The kids need to eat dinner before they go for Dessert! LOVE!! Thanks so much for linking up and for sharing your great Daily 5 ideas with us!!

    Becca :)
    First Grade in Foxwell Forest

    ReplyDelete