Saturday, February 22, 2014

Fuel Your Faith Friday on a Saturday

T.G.I.S.!  Thank goodness it's Saturday!  Haha.

This week was a whirlwind.  February hit in full force.  DRA scores were do this week, grades are due week, conferences are coming up.  All of this was made more challenging by the fact that we have had tons of snow days, so I am behind in teaching things that need to be assessed for the report card.  Not to mention, Monday is Day 100, which I cannot just ignore.  Yeesh.  

It's a lot.

Teaching is a lot.

Fortunately, I have this Saturday free to focus and hopefully be productive.  Even before getting to work though, I need to share something for Fuel Your Faith Friday because it's something I need to remember during this hectic time.


It is time for me to confess.  I have a hard time loving my students sometimes.  In the midst of everything that needs to get done and the pressure of trying to prove that I am an effective teacher, I forget about my kids.  

I forget to care when they are upset.

I forget to laugh with them.

I forget to be patient when they don't understand a math concept no matter how many times I model it.

I forget to stay calm when they interrupt or refuse to sit criss-cross applesauce.  

Sometimes I forget that they are even lovable.

Sure, it's easy to love the students who are sitting up straight, raising their hands, using the manipulatives correctly, passing all the tests.  

They make my life easy.

What's hard is loving the ones who challenge my teaching abilities and push my management skills to the limit.

Yet, it's these ones that God has specifically called me to love.  He says in Matthew 5:43-47:

“"You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?  If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?"

I'm not saying that my students are my enemies or that they persecute me.  They certainly aren't and don't.

What I mean is if I love only the students who are easy to love, then my love is selfish.  It's not Christ's love.

Starting today, I want to stop getting caught up in my to do list. 

Instead, I will choose to get caught up in loving my students when it's easy and when it's hard.  

I cannot do it on my own.

Thankfully I have a loving Heavenly Teacher to help me.



3 comments: