Friday, March 28, 2014

5 for Friday and 2 Freebies!

It's Friday!

Where in the world has March gone?  Only three days left and we've still only seen glimpses of spring.

Unfortunately, you've also only seen glimpses of me.  I keep wanting to blog, but not having or taking the time to do so.  

Anyways, I'm here now for Doodle Bug's Five for Friday.


Persuasive Writing Ideas

my kiddos brainstormed ideas for what to write about.  I made this quick and easy chart for them to use to list their ideas.  They thought of things that they Want or Need, what they think is the Best or Worst of some category (e.g. ice cream flavor, book etc.), and Changes to Make (recycle, throw away trash etc.).  To say the kids were excited by their lists is an understatement.  They were all laughing and shouting as they tried to show me and and each other what they wanted.

Pick up the free graphic organizer here.


Fact vs. Opinion

Opinion and Persuasive Writing UnitOnce again, we are persuasive writing!  My kiddos could not be more excited to try to convince me and their parents to give them everything they want.  After introducing the genre with some great read alouds (Pigeon books, I Wanna Iguana etc.), we began to investigate fact and opinion.  I wanted my kids to solidly understand that they will be using facts to persuade others of their opinions.  To help them differentiate facts and opinions, we used a cute sort from Brigid Ann's pack.  


Character Study

Along with starting a new writing unit, we also began our new reading unit: Character Study.  Last year, I shared a ton of great resources in this post.  You should check it out to get some great freebies.

This week, we began the unit by reading A Weekend with Wendell by Kevin Henkes.  He is our mentor author for the unit because his characters have such clear traits.


Character Education Performance

Today was an exciting day for all the first grade classes at my school.  Each one performed a short skit for our grade level Character Education Assembly.  All the parents were there snapping pictures of their kiddos as they recited Aesop's Fables, The Sandwich Swap, The Crayon Box That Talked, Do Unto Otters, and The Boy Who Wouldn't Share (my class).


Math with Technology

My class this year has trouble in whole class settings, but does quite well in small groups and independent work.  Therefore, I have been doing versions of the Daily 5 for both reading and math.  Actually, both are really the Daily 4 due to time constraints.  Math only became 4 centers this week when I added a new rotation: Math with Technology.

For Math with Technology, I have the kids using the desktop, laptop, and iPad.  A few kids have to share each one, which is not ideal, but seems to be working okay so far.  These are some of the apps they have been playing on the iPad:

Penguin Math

Subitizing Flash Cards
To make up for the fact that I haven't posted in so long, I'm throwing another freebie into this post.  Get your own Math Daily 4 cards by clicking the picture below.



So, that's it for me this week.  Have a great weekend everyone!



1 comment:

  1. I like Kevin Henkes but didn't know about the Wendell book. I'll have to check it out, as well as your other character book ideas. Thanks for the suggestions! Sara

    ReplyDelete