Monday, March 17, 2014

Science Mentor Texts and an Easter Freebie

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I wanted to pop in tonight to share a couple science mentor texts for Collaboration Cuties' linky.

 

This year for our All About Book writing unit, I decided to use Gail Gibbons as a mentor author.  Although I used her books for writing, they worked double time by teaching science concepts.  

Two of my favorite Gail Gibbons books are: The Pumpkin Book and Apples.


These two books are useful for so many reasons.  Both contain various nonfiction text features including diagrams and labels, cut-aways, how-to's etc.  Though they do not have table of contents or headings, students can help distinguish where the chapter breaks would be based on changes in content.  This was a fun challenge for my kids.  As I read, they had to stop me when they thought there could be a new chapter.

Aside from being full of nonfiction features, these books teach a lot about pumpkins and apples.  They include the history, life cycle, as well as common products and uses for these fruits.  Since both books are about fruits, they can easily be tied in with science or health units on nutrition.


Before I go, I have to tell you about some really exciting Compassion happenings.

First of all, I spent several hours on Saturday coloring stained-glassy style crosses and printing out Easter coloring pages to send to my Compassion kids.  Though Easter is still far away, I am already late in sending these out due to the slow international mail process.  Anyways, I think my kids will enjoy everything.


I found the letter writing template, craft ideas, and coloring pages off of links from the Compassion Pinterest boards.  If you are a sponsor, you have to check out these boards.  They are chock full of ideas for what to send your sponsored children.

Letter Templates.Writing Prompts to write @Compassion International International International Sponsored Children #letterwriting #childsponsorship

If you would like a copy of the "Jelly Bean" poem to go with your cross or jelly beans, you can pick up the freebie by clicking the picture below.


Have a great night!


1 comment:

  1. That's a good idea - to have the kids try to decide where chapter breaks should be.
    Like the crosses, etc you are working on
    Sara

    ReplyDelete