Saturday, April 19, 2014

Spark Student Motivation: Letter Plates

It's Saturday and I'm on spring break!!!

I am so glad to have some time off.  Last week, was too insane with finalizing the team of people coming to India with me this summer, going to meetings after school, having a post-observation conference on Thursday etc.  I was sad not to have any time to blog.

Now, I am home for a few relaxing days in Ohio during which I will celebrate my birthday and more importantly the resurrection of my Savior, Jesus Christ.  Then, I'm heading to San Diego to visit my sister and brother-in-law.  Can't wait to get away from it all in the California sun.  Aaahhhh...

Anyways, I'm popping in to share a simple trick for phonics/spelling for Spark Student Motivation.


This really is a very simple activity, but it makes practicing phonics sounds, sight words, and spelling patterns much more engaging.  At grade level meeting this week, another first grade teacher shared this idea with us and by that afternoon, I was trying it with my kiddos.

All you have to do is write the letters, glued sounds, suffixes etc. on the back of paper plates.  Then, each student gets 2 or more plates.  

When I called out words, the whole class had to pay attention to what letters they had, so they knew whether or not they had to get up.  If their letter/sound was in the word, they got up and arranged themselves with the other students until they made the word.

This is a bad picture, but the word is "batches."
I knew the students would enjoy this, but didn't realize how engaging it would be.  Every student was calling out and giving instructions about how to spell the word and they were all so excited when they got to get up to be part of it themselves.

Definitely a fun break from regular dictation.  So cheap and easy too.

Hope it works for you too!  

Wishing everyone a Happy Easter!!


5 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a super easy and fun idea! (And, I love inexpensive too!) I do something similar with index cards for math, but I like the paper plates better-great visual! Thanks for sharing a very motivational idea! Enjoy your spring break Becky!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great hands-on activity! Enjoy your spring break! I'm jealous that you are headed to the California sun. I'm stuck here in Wisconsin... :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea! I've done something similar for spelling CVC words, but I'm going to expand to using it for chunking more complicated words this week. Thanks!

    -Amanda
    Kindergarten Teacher at the Wheel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post, I bookmark your blog because I found very good information on your blog, Thanks for sharing more information
    Quality Services & Training Pvt.Ltd.

    ReplyDelete