Monday, April 13, 2015

Where's Your Tom Sawyer Island?

Where is your Tom Sawyer Island?

Where do you go to get perspective?  Where do find peace and open your mind to creativity?

Hmmm....

This question stumped me at small group last week.  The girls and I had just read the introduction to Love Does by Bob Goff in which he talks about making his office Tom Sawyer Island in Disneyland.  He describes how this place has become an escape for him.  A place of clarity and potential.

What a beautiful concept. 

Do I have a place like that?

The fact that it did not immediately come to mind indicates that I do not go there often.  That I often fall into the busy routine and don't take time be still and dream.  Yes, inspiration comes.  God speaks.  The small voice whispers in between the cracks in my schedule and the brief moments of silence in the midst of the noise.

I wonder what He would say if He had more time.

After a few moments of contemplation and listening to my friends share, I realized I do have a place or rather a type of place.

High.  Wide.

 

 

Nothing offers perspective quite like an expansive horizon and a view from the top.  The rushing cars and crowds of hurried people are far below.  The earth stretches out as far as the eye can see.  Rooftops.  Fields.  Oceans.  Whatever the scenery, it all melts into the distance with the sky spread above.

Peace comes.  He's got this.  There is a bigger picture, a wide view.  Far bigger and wider than any height on earth could ever reveal.  God sees it though. 

Time to slow down.  Breathe deep.  Listen.  Smile.  Remember.

He's got this. 

Where's your Tom Sawyer Island?


No comments:

Post a Comment