Friday, August 21, 2015

My Vegan-Friendly Life


Good Evening,

It is that time of year: the end-of-summer/back-to-school frenzy of final barbecues, last trips to the beach, and school supply shopping.  It is the time of year when I still feel like I should be back in a classroom frantically hanging bulletin boards and labeling supplies.  Sigh.

Alas, I am not in a classroom and that is okay.  A bit sad, but okay.  I am loving what I am doing with World Orphans and know for sure that this is where God wants me at this time.

Though I love my job, one challenge is that I work from home.  I literally work in my bedroom, at a desk right next to my bed.  It is a bit strange and has led to me feeling a bit cooped up at times.

To combat this cooped up feeling I take walks, schedule plenty of social outings, and am trying to invest more in hobbies.  For example, I started learning Spanish in preparation for a trip to Guatemala.


My post tonight is not about World Orphans, school, or Spanish though.  It is about another hobby of mine: cooking, specifically cooking vegan food.

Let me just start by saying that I am not a vegan.

However, over the last year, I have been leaning more and more towards plant-based eating.  I never was a big meat-eater, so this was not a difficult progression to make.  In addition, I have drastically reduced my intake of dairy, so some days or meals I am completely vegan.  Therefore, I consider myself to be "vegan-friendly."

I owe much of my love for vegan food and cooking it to my sister who gave me The Holy Grail of vegan cookbooks for Christmas.  It is called, The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon, and it is AMAZING.
Angela's recipes are not only vegan, but often gluten-free and/or nut-free.  They are healthy, colorful, and super fun to make.  I love having a counter full of fresh veggies to chop and spices to blend.  Cooking and eating is much more fun when it is colorful.  It truly helps me appreciate all that God has created and to value food as fuel for my body.

That being said, here are a few highlight recipes that I've made from the cookbook or Angela's blog.  It was hard to choose just these because I have absolutely LOVED everything I have made from it.  By the way, I take no credit for developing these recipes.  If they look good to you, check out the cookbook or blog.  Also,  I know that my food-photography skills need some serious work.  :-)

Indian Lentil-Cauliflower Stew
Luxurious Tomato Basil Pasta
Glowing Strawberry Mango Guacamole.  Oh my goodness.
Guacamole on a whole new level of awesomeness.
Crowd-Pleasing Tex-Mex Casserole with black beans, corn, rice, spinach, and lots of spices.
Warm Spring Salad with quinoa, asparagus, peas, and strawberries
Did I make you hungry?  Haha.  Perhaps some of your final summer shindigs can be vegan-friendly this year.  Bon appetite!



No comments:

Post a Comment